Thursday, September 2, 2010

Omelets

Omelets are such a simple dish, but yet can cause so much trouble! I love making these once in a while for dinner, as well as breakfasts. It's a great dinner item when you want something that has protein and all you have are eggs and frozen meat - plus you are in a time crunch. Of course if you make omelets for 5-6 people it can take a while, but then I'd suggest making a few larger omelets and cutting them into half or thirds.

Omelets
Beat eggs (I usually use about 2-3 per small omelet) and milk (about 2 Tbsp - I usually just pour some into the egg mixture.)
Last time I made omelets I made an egg white omelet (diet) as well.
Beat until combined.
In a pan over medium to medium-high heat, add some oil or non-stick cooking spray. One mistake of making omelets is using a pan that is too large so the egg mixture gets spread too thin. Use a smaller pan and have a thicker egg mixture. It stays together a lot better. I've not had nearly as many problems since I've started using small pans.
You'll want to make sure the pan is warm before adding eggs. (Not necessary but helps - just turn on the burner and put the pan on it while mixing the eggs.)
Pour eggs into pan.
FYI - this pan wasn't warm enough
It's warm enough when it starts cooking as you add the eggs.
It as you can see it is not cooking right now.
Salt and pepper the eggs. I could say to taste, but there is no way I'd be tasting this right now to see if it is flavorful enough... I typically shake a salt shaker over it twice and pepper over it once.
While the eggs cook through cut the veggies (or if you were on top of things, they'd be cut before you started.) It is also best to heat up the fillings (except cheese) before adding to the omelet. I do not always have the foresight to do this, but it is better for cooking - the egg is more likely to be completely cooked if you're not adding cold ingredients in the omelet.
See how the egg is cooked almost all the way through? I usually let it cook until there is no more runny egg and about a minute or two longer.

You can also cover the pan to help the top cook faster. This photo above shows a pan that is warm enough to add eggs - see the bubbles? They are a good thing ;).
If you're feeling really confident you can flip the egg over so the top cooks and browns as well - I do that on occasion, but haven't perfected that movement yet.
Add the fillings to the omelet.
Don't forget the cheese!
The top omelet without onions was for my 17 month old. He loves eggs.
He also loves cheese so omelets are a perfect meal. I have to sneak in some veggies though!
Now to flip the omelet.
Loosen the edges on the side that doesn't have fillings.
Another trick - shake the pan, if the eggs move then you know it is loose.
I would still suggest running the spatula along the edges though.
Lift the egg gently
Move it to fold over on top of the fillings.
Honestly I still sometimes have trouble with this part.
I probably will in 30 years as well.
Truth be told I had to put the camera down to help fold the top over. I didn't have to tell you that, but I don't want you to think that I'm some sort of wonder woman in the kitchen.
If your omelet is stuffed you may have to hold the top down for a minute to get it to stay in place.
Let cook until cheese melts.
Flipping once during cooking.
Just thought you'd want to see what an omelet with egg yolks in it would look like as well ;).
Place on a plate. Eat however you would like - my husband puts syrup on his... I still don't understand that! If you do that it's okay I'll still be your friend.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.