Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Shredded Pork Enchiladas

When our first son was born, I had made some pre-made freezer meals - you know, just pull out and bake. Mainly because I'd heard it was a good idea... also because hubby and I don't particularly like the pre-made store bought frozen meals (except the really expensive ones that were out of the budget as he was still in grad school!). So I knew I needed to stock up our freezer this time as well... and may have gone a bit overboard, but I am enjoying spending time with my two sons instead of cooking every day! ;).

We left the hospital Sunday afternoon and were home by mid-afternoon. We pulled this out of our deep freeze so it could thaw a bit (and not have to cook as long). I was so glad to have home-made food instead of the hospital food that they gave us! Let's just say, I'm not a fan of hospital food... although with our first son, the hospital food was better (and they had a menu in the room so I got to order what I wanted... not so much this time - of course the whole in-patient part of our hospital here would fit in the Family Birth Center in the first hospital!) These enchiladas tastes absolutely divine after 2 days in the hospital!

(And just in case you're wondering, we're all doing well. A little sleep deprived, but that's to be expected!  Most of this post was finished before our son was born... with the exception of the baked product photos and the previous two paragraphs.)
Shredded Pork Enchiladas 

First, you'll need 1 can (about 1-3/4 cup vegetable - or chicken - broth.)
1.5 cups Salsa Verde. La Victoria is my favorite brand that I've tried so far.
You'll also need 1 cup of sour cream.
Add the broth and salsa (just don't pay attention to how non-appetizing this looks right now!)
Dump in the sour cream.
Mix until well combined.
Ah, much more appetizing!
Add 1/2 cup of sauce to a pan.
Besides the sauce, you'll also need shredded cheese (I used Monterrey Jack cheese), shredded pork and tortillas (I used 6" tortillas).
Brush tortilla with sauce,
Being sure to coat the whole tortilla.
Alternatively you can just dip the tortilla in the enchilada sauce.
Then add 1/4 cup shredded pork (give or take a bit - but if you have enough pork, definitely err on the side of more.) If using larger than 6" tortillas, be sure to add more filling!
Place shredded pork in the middle of the tortilla.
Add about 1/8 cup cheese to the top of the pork.
Fold the tortilla over
and roll up.
Place rolled up tortilla into a pan,
Repeat with more tortillas and filling.
I fit 12 tortillas in this 9x13 pan.
Then I made a second pan as well... Because you can never have too many meals in the freezer for after your baby comes! The pan on the right has flour tortillas and the pan on the left has corn.

Pour 1 cup Enchilada Sauce over the rolled tortillas.
If freezing, cover with foil,
I used a double layer, just to be safe!
Then write the contents and cooking instructions on the foil.
I also pre-grated cheese and stuck on the foil in a freezer bag so everything would be ready. I used 1-1/2 cups, but we're a cheese loving family...
When you're ready to pull this out of the freezer (you can either pull it out early in the day and let it thaw or cook it frozen.)
Bake covered at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes (or until piping hot) if thawed, removing foil and topping with cheese during the last 15 minutes.
If frozen, bake at 350 for about 45-60 minutes, topping with cheese during the last 10-15 minutes of baking.
I topped with the cheese the whole time as I had my husband take the pan out and the enchiladas were partially thawed while the cheese was still in the freezer... Forgot to have him take that out as well!
Let cool slightly and serve.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream, if desired. (*The only difference between freezing and fresh is that the tortillas are a bit more soggy...)
*If you don't want to freeze this and just cook it the same day. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are piping hot.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Love the technique.!!! I must give this one a try! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.