Thursday, September 23, 2010

Baked French Toast with Apple Spice Syrup

 On Tuesday I let you know that this recipe was one of my ideas for using Nature's Pride bread. I'm glad I decided to make baked french toast - honestly I am a total fan of it now. I think in the future all my french toast is going to be baked. Could I tell a difference? No - in fact I mentioned it to my husband that I had baked the french toast and he was surprised it was baked - he couldn't tell the difference. I'd have to say that there is one difference - all the french toast was finished at the same time, every piece was hot and toasty at the same time. None of the french toast got limp as we waited for the rest of them to cook. It makes it much easier to sit down for dinner/breakfast together to eat hot, fresh french toast. It also gives you plenty of time to make your own syrup and even eggs if you wanted to!

Just a reminder - today is the last day to vote for Challenge 1 on Project Food Blog - click here to vote for me!

Baked French Toast
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees, then grab 3 eggs from the fridge (I use 1 egg for 2 pieces of bread so adjust as necessary)
Next add a splash of milk (about 2 Tbsp)
Mix them all together.
Then grab your bread (I used Nature's Pride 12 grain bread for this one) and dip it in the eggs.
Flip to cover the other side.
Place on greased cookie sheet.
Repeat with remaining slices of bread.
I only used 5 slices of bread - one being the end (it could have been six, if I'd had more bread.) Now would be a great time to wash the egg off your hands. ;)
Next sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg (this spice container actually has 4 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp nutmeg.)
You can sprinkle as little or as much as you want on each piece of bread - it makes it easier to cater to picky eaters.
Turn the bread over.
Sprinkle the second side as well. You're now ready to put them in the oven.
Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven
Flip each piece of toast over.
Bake for another 10 minutes.
They'll be nice and brown on each side.
I think this piece of French Toast is missing something - 
the Syrup! 
Apple Spice Syrup
You can make this syrup while the toast is baking. It only takes about 10-12 minutes.
You'll need 3/4 cup apple juice.
1/2 cup water
And a saucepan.
Pour the apple juice and water in the saucepan.
You'll also need to packets of Spiced Apple Cider - any brand will work.
Pour the cider powder in with the apple juice and water.
You'll also need 1/4 cup sugar.
Add it to the saucepan as well. (I first made this with 1/2 cup sugar - but it was a little too sweet - you may be able to reduce the amount of sugar even more if you would like.)
Mix everything together. Place on burner and turn on to medium heat.
You'll also need 1 Tbsp corn starch and 1/4 cup cold water. (You can omit the cornstarch if you would like - but add the 1/4 cup water.) 
Dissolve the cornstarch in the water.
I had to include this picture - my son wanted to help me so I let him 'stir' these together.
Add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan as well.
Whisk together to dissolve the cornstarch - keep stirring until the syrup turns back to the browinsh color and the white is gone.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and keep warm until ready to serve.
Pour over top of French Toast.
You can feel a bit healthier eating this syrup - it is made of juice ;).
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Holy Yum, that looks good.
    With a family of 9 to feed, I never seem to get french toast done without having to serve a few of the kids the limp pieces, I will have to try baking it and see how that goes, what a great tip!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.