Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Kitchen Tip: Know Your Cuts of Meat

It amazes me how little some people know about cuts of meat. The last time my mom went into the butcher the person at the counter was just getting off the phone. Apparently someone a city a few hours away had called to get a half a beef. This person requested the beef be cut into all T-bone steaks. I'd hate to see what the cow that can be cut into all T-bone steaks would look like!

While you may know a bit more about where different cuts of meat come from, it is important to know how to cook a particular cut of meat. Some cuts are more tough, some have more fat, etc. Some are better cooked by roasting, others are better being cooked in liquid, and some can be cooked with a lot of different methods. If I'm unfamiliar with a cut of meat, I can check in a cookbook (these images are from the Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook.)
Or there is always the internet - just a quick search for cuts of meat gets me to a site such as this one or charts like those found here.  The first link and at least one chart has suggested cooking styles for specific cuts (of course you are not limited to these). There are a lot of resources out there so find one that works for you.

1 comment:

  1. Helpful! Man, there sure are a lot of different types out there. I didn't know how many exactly until I clicked on the link...geeeeze!
    Also, the 2nd link is broken. :(

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.