Saturday, March 20, 2010

Creamy Meatballs (aka Meatball Rigatoni)

Exactly one month ago I confessed that I had misplaced my notes on how I made the Meatball Rigatoni... Last week I made it again and actually did not misplace my notes. I also was able to take lots of photos as I was making it. I honestly really enjoyed this dish both times I made it. As I was reviewing the photos, my mouth started watering and I really wanted to go make this recipe again... but because I am such a dedicated person, I finished sorting through the photos and am writing a post about it, all while salivating.

After making this dish I do not have any more meatballs in the freezer anymore after our incident of 4 lbs of hamburger accidentally becoming thawed. That means I'll have the urge to make them again within about a month. I'm way too predictable. I love meatballs way to much.

Creamy Meatballs

Bring a large pot of water with 1 Tbsp salt to a boil.
Meanwhile chop 1 shallot or small onion and saute in 2 tbsp butter until tender.
When water is boiling, add pasta and cook according to package directions. I used penne making it this time as we had a shortage of rigatoni. I really like rigatoni with this dish better.
Once the shallots are tender, add 1 tbsp more butter, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp Marojam, and 1/8 tsp white (or black) pepper. Normally in a white sauce white pepper is used so there are not black specks, but since there herbs used in this sauce it would not be as noticeable.
Stir to combine.
Add 1 to 1-1/2 cups cream
to the shallots and seasonings.
Whisk together.
until combined.
Once cream is warmed, add 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese.
Is it bad to be in love with cheese? Parmesan is one of my favorites.
 Whisk in cheese.
Keep whisking until all cheese is melted.
Add meatballs 4-6 per person - be sure they are not still frozen. Meatball Recipe can be found here.
Just to let you know I am really salivating right now. If I had meatballs left in my freezer they'd be getting heated up right now!
 Gently mix meatballs into the sauce. If you mix to vigorously the meatballs will fall apart - which would not affect the taste at all. Keep warm on low heat, stirring occasionally until meatballs are warmed through. My stomach is growling now.
 Remember the cooking pasta? I really just had to add these pictures because I love pictures of boiling water. I really love the differences between each photo.
Also I need to tell you that you should not add oil to the pasta water. Oil inhibits the sauce from clinging to the pasta.
Drain the cooked pasta. I normally use whole wheat pasta, so the color is a little different. I really like the taste and bite that the whole grain pasta gives.
Do not rinse. Rinsing also inhibits the sauce from clinging to the pasta.
Place pasta on a plate and top with Meatballs and sauce.
Top with cheese. This is too much, it may be sooner than a month before I make meatballs again!
Enjoy!
Printer Friendly

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.