Thursday, March 11, 2010

Bacon Pepperjack Stuffed Chicken

This recipe is actually a spin off from the traditional Chicken Cordon Bleu. I am not the hugest fan of traditional Cordon Bleu as I do not particularly like Swiss Cheese. I usually substitute Mozzarella... This spin is not only Swiss Cheese free but absolutely delicious! I first made this in college when I had bacon and chicken breasts. I do not remember if I used pepperjack cheese, but it makes it wonderfully tasty - not to mention adds a kick.


Bacon Pepperjack Stuffed Chicken

You will need one chicken breast per person (in my case that would be 4). And 4 slices of Pepperjack Cheese.
You will also need 1 full strip of bacon per person, cut in half or thirds and fried until crispy, or whatever doneness you like your bacon.
While the bacon is sizzling and making the kitchen smell wonderful, assemble ingredients for the outside of the chicken.
1/2 cup cracker crumbs (I used saltines, but Ritz crackers or equivalent would be great), 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/2 tsp season salt, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, 1/4 tsp garlic powder and 1/8 tsp black pepper.
Combine them all together.
Set aside.  Either pound out chicken or cut slits into chicken breasts in order to stuff them. Place 2 halves or 3 thirds of bacon (reserving bacon grease) and one slice of cheese in the chicken breast.
If you pounded out the breast, roll or fold up. Secure with toothpicks.
If you cut a slit into the breast, secure slit with toothpicks.

Dip each stuffed chicken breast into bacon grease to coat on each side (this adds a layer of flavor... but if you want to do something more healthy you can use eggs.) Remove and coat with cracker mixture.
 Be sure to press the chicken into the crackers to ensure a good coating.

Place coated chicken onto baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
Remove and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I finally made this dish yesterday after Church. I had printed it a while ago, and man, we've been missing out! It was delicious. We did make one variation: It was our Stake's Fast Sunday, and we didn't want to wait until it baked for 40 minutes. So, we fried each little chicken roll in the leftover bacon grease. AWESOME! It made the cracker-coating all crispy and the cheese oozed a little out the sides. So good! This will be on our list of fave meals for some time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.