Thursday, May 31, 2012

Shredded Pork Quesadillas

I've made no secret of the fact that I LOVE the shredded pork quesadillas from Qdoba Mexican Grill. The only problem is that the closest one to where we currently live is 3 hours away (and in another state.) There are actually two that fit that criteria... but I don't see myself going to either one any time soon. We do have a Cafe Rio where we currently live and I adore their Enchilada style burritos as well as their salads. However... their pork is sweet and ...confession... I don't really like sweet pork (I know I may be weird.) Plus Cafe Rio does not put salsa in their quesadillas like Qdoba does... and honestly the addition of the Pico de Gallo in the quesadilla makes a huge difference. Try it and see if you don't believe me!

I have been on a quest to replicate Qdoba's quesadillas and think I finally have (of course I can't do a side by side comparison and it has been about a year since I've eaten one... so there's that!) If we end up going to my husband's family reunion this year (2 weeks after baby is due... I'm not holding my breath!) there is one on the way to where it is being held and I may happen to stop and see if this one is as close as I remember. The main difference is in the tortilla... but I can handle that difference ;).

 Shredded Pork Quesadillas

You'll need - 3 ounces shredded pork, about 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (more of you want it extra cheesy, and 1/4 cup fresh salsa. You'll also need tortillas. You can use 1 burrito size tortilla and fold in half or two smaller tortillas. We use the smaller whole wheat tortillas. (Not authentic but I try to use whole wheat whenever I can.)
 Place a tortilla in a pan over medium heat.
 Top with half of the cheese.
 Then add all the salsa - sprinkling it over the tortilla as evenly as possible. (If using a large tortilla, only place toppings on half of it.)
 Next top with the shredded pork.
 As you can see the cheese has already started melting.
 Top with remaining cheese.

 Place second tortilla on top (or fold over the tortilla if using a large one.)
 When the bottom layer of cheese is melted, flip. I typically do this using a spatula and my hand. Some of the toppings can escape... but the more you practice the better you get at this!
 Let the cheese finish melting.
 Remove to cutting board,

 Using a pizza cutter (or knife) cut in half.
 Then in half the other way. (Or you can cut into 6ths instead of 4ths... depending on how you like it!)
  Arrange on a plate.
 Serve with more fresh salsa, sour cream and guacamole (if you want to.)
  Look at that cheese coming out the side. My mouth is watering!
 Enjoy!

1 comment:

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.