Thursday, May 10, 2012

Parmesan Crusted Chicken

So I have to apologize... I recently discovered that I was going to post this around the time I got morning sickness and totally spaced it! So 5 or 6 months later I'm finally getting to it... It is times like this when I decided I need to be more organized when it comes to what post and when... however at the time I did not know that editing photos and posting recipes would make me feel really ill. Seriously I did not even read my favorite food blogs when I had morning sickness! It honestly made me more nauseous than I already was, and I didn't need anything to make me feel worse. Luckily at about 14 or 15 weeks the morning sickness left and I felt so much better... In fact as I looked back on the months prior it felt like I had been living in a fog and had come out. It was so strange and yet I was so grateful to NOT be there anymore! I will have to say that it helped me to understand people who say they were so sick and were living in a fog - I know people have much worse sicknesses than morning sickness who say that and I'm not trying to make light of it. I'm just saying that I have a bit more understanding and empathy for them now. 

Where was I? Oh yeah Chicken... I am really good at going off on tangents and forgetting where I was. Pregnancy brain is real and I think it is worse this time than it was last time! I honestly feel like the part of my brain that remembers things is partly missing... I wish it would come back, and soon! Anywho, I should start posting the recipe before I start wandering again.

Parmesan Crusted Chicken
First you'll need Panko - Japanese Bread Crumbs. Can I just say how much I love this ingredient?! I discovered it just a few years ago and was hesitant at first, but now I absolutely adore it. It gives a wonderful crispness to the food.
You'll want about 1-1/2 cups - it doesn't have be precise...
Next, you'll need some flat leaf (or Italian) parsley.
Chopped up of course.
Next, you'll want 1/4-1/3 cup parmesan. I typically use the canned stuff in this recipe, except I'd ran out (I don't use a lot of it so it is one of those ingredients that I don't worry about checking to see how much I have - do you have any ingredients that you typically only know you need more when you want to use it?) so I used some fresh grated as well.
Toss the parsley and parmesan in with the panko. This is Parsley Parmesan Panko - what a nice alliteration... and totally not planned when I put this recipe together ;).
Mix them together. Set aside.
Next, you'll need 2 eggs. If you want to make it a bit healthier, you can just use egg whites. Beat them together and place in a shallow pan. Set aside as well.
You'll also need 1 cup flour.
Place on a plate or in a shallow pan as well.
Add 1 tsp salt.
to the flour,
and 1/2 tsp pepper - I used white pepper, but you can use black if you prefer.
Dump it onto the flour.
Mix to combine.
Coat your chicken breast in flour. I actually cut my chicken breasts in half before I did this... I'm trying to not use a whole breast per person (saves money and is closer to an actual serving size!)
Be sure to get both sides coated.
Then dip in the egg mixture.
You're hands may get a bit messy - unless you use kitchen tongs for this... I never have, but may try it eventually!
Once it is coated in egg, place in the Panko mixture.
Being sure to coat it on each side.
I like to use my hand to press it down so it gets a fuller coat.
Place on pan and repeat with remaining chicken. I made 6 half-breasts (3 whole cut in half...) Planned leftovers - I like them. ;)
Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Remove from oven and serve warm.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. great recipe! I've never tried it with the Parmesan cheese, usually prepare with thyme!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.