Thursday, May 17, 2012

Roasted Salsa Verde

This year I have discovered a new love... It has the name of Salsa Verde. Now I've known about salsa verde for a while, but until this year I had never realized how delicious it is! I'm not talking about using it for chips and salsa, but for actually using it as the cooking marinade/sauce. Seriously I wish I would have discovered this years ago! This recipe calls for roasting all the ingredients in the salsa verde before pureeing them. I adore the taste of the roastedness of the ingredients. I've made this and frozen it before as well. I can't tell you how it is to eat it plain once it has thawed as I used mine to cook chicken in the slow cooker (and boy was that DELICIOUS!)

Roasted Salsa Verde
First, you'll need 1 white onion, cut into chunks, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 jalapeno and 1 anaheim pepper.
 You'll also need Tomatillos - I used 8 medium-large or about 1.5 pounds. (For those of you who don't know what they are - ) they are these green things that look sort of like tomatoes on the baking sheet here... In the stores they have a little husk around them (pictured here). I just learned about tomatillos a year or two ago... and have loved them since!
 Now, you'll want to drizzle some oil on the onion (I used olive, but any vegetable oil should work.)
 You'll also want to coat the garlic cloves (skins still on) with oil as well.
 Put them under the broiler for 5 minutes. (I typically use mine at 400-500 degrees and the pan 4-5 inches below the heat source.)
Everything should start browning.
 After 5 minutes, remove and flip the peppers and tomatillos over, then stir up the onion. Oh and don't forget to also flip the garlic over as well.
Once everything has been tossed around a bit, put it back in the oven for 5 minutes so the other side can get toasted as well. 
 Remove from oven,
Place the peppers in a kitchen towel/washcloth, etc. You can also use a freezer bag - it needs to be heavy or else it will melt.
Cover the peppers with the cloth or seal the bag and let them rest for 5 minutes.
 Put the tomatillos and onion in a blender or food processor.
 Now for these little babies. Cut the end off and then the rest is pretty simple...
 Simply squeeze the peel and the garlic should pop right out.
 Be sure to have it over something to catch it! I just did this over the baking sheet.
 Put the peeled garlic cloves in the blender/food processor as well.
 After your peppers have rested, uncover them and remove the skins.
 Simply grab at a piece that is loose and peel back.
 Repeat until all the skin has been removed.
(I won't tell if there are still a few small pieces of skin on your pepper...)
 Once the pepper is peeled, cut off the stem. If you want a mild salsa you'll want to cut the pepper open and remove the seeds.
 However, for this salsa, I left them in... I knew what I had in mind for this deliciousness and it wasn't for straight eating (in which case mild is what I typically go for!)
 Toss the jalapeno into the blender/food processor.
 Repeat the peeling and removing of the stem with the anaheim pepper as well.
 Once all the ingredients are in the processor, simply blend it up completely! You can also add 1/3 cup of cilantro as well. Add salt to taste.
 Now you're ready to use this deliciousness! I'll shortly be sharing with you what I used mine for!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my WORD this looks delicious. If I wasn't afraid of my broiler after things getting alarmingly smoky in here the one time I used it, I would be ON THIS immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also make this without roasting the veggies, I just prefer them roasted...

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.