Thursday, June 3, 2010

Fresh Salsa

I really, really, really love fresh salsa. It seriously makes me happy! Light and Refreshing and a perfect accompaniment to many dishes. Most recently I made it for the Spinach Pancakes that we had. I also use it when I make burritos (like those you would find at Qdoba, Chipolte, etc), to use in quesadillas, or just to snack on with tortilla chips.

Fresh Salsa

First we start the chopping fest... Chop 1/2 of a green bell pepper, 1 medium onion (I use red or white onions for salsa), 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (not pictured - oops)
4 medium tomatoes (I use whatever type of tomato I have on hand), Be sure to remove the seeds and pulp from the tomatoes before chopping.
I usually just cut the tomato in half and use my thumb or finger to remove them - it doesn't have to be perfect, but if you do not remove the seeds and pulp it makes the salsa look messier and it has more liquid.
 Lastly, the jalapeno - remove the seeds and membranes then finely chop. Just a warning, when handling jalapenos (especially the seeds) make sure to use gloves. I did not do this the first time I made salsa and regretted it later - my hands did not like me for a day afterward. Although when I am feeling lazy and don't want to use gloves, I cut the jalapeno in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the membranes and seeds trying very hard not to get them on my bare skin. Then I always wash my hands afterward.
Combine all chopped ingredients into a medium mixing bowl - do not use a metal bowl for this. Add 1 Tbsp lemon juice and 1 Tbsp lime juice. Toss well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to let the flavors blend. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days - if you let it last that long!
Makes about 3 cups.

1 comment:

  1. I just made some salsa last night too! I love it - and if I'm being honest, my salsa is the bomb dot com. I think I'll go have some right now!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.