Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Brownie Chunk Cookies

I promised my sister in law I'd post this after I talked about making them... However I know it's a bit later than I said it would be! So I hope you'll forgive me...

One thing about pregnancy is cravings and cravings that help create new and delicious things are great! (I'm not talking about the cravings that create gross things, like pickles and squirt-able cheese... yeah I did eat that around Christmastime... nobody else liked it and to be honest the next day I didn't even want to try it again! Still don't in case you were wondering.) I decided that brownie chunk ice-cream was so good (after having eaten some - I ate way too much ice-cream when I had morning sickness. Okay and since then too!) that having brownie chunks in a cookie would be delicious as well... So the next time we had brownies, I cut the pieces that weren't eaten up into chunks and stuck them in the freezer to make cookies with. I have to say I wasn't disappointed. These turned out absolutely delicious!

  
 Brownie Chunk Cookies

You'll need 2 sticks (or 1 cup) butter,
1/4 cup granulated sugar
and 3/4 cup packed brown sugar.
Mix the butter and sugars together until nice and creamy,
Then add 1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla,
and 2 eggs.
Beat until combined.
Not quite combined... so keep beating ;).
then add 1/2 tsp baking soda.
1-1/2 cups flour,
dump them both in there at the same time.
Mix until just combined.
Also add 1 cup chocolate chips,
and here's the kicker - 1 cup brownie chunks. These chunks I had cut (and froze) from making brownies.
Stir in carefully so the chunks retain their chunkiness... having them frozen does help - I think if they had not been frozen it would have ended up a brownie swirl cookie...
Look at that delicious cookie dough.
Drop 2 Tbsp mounds onto a cookie sheet.
I dotted the first batch with extra brownie chunks, then baked at 350 for 8-10 minutes.
Don't they just look delicious.
Remove to a cooling rack and let sit until cooled or until you pick one up to eat it. (I won't tell if you don't if they get eaten before they make it onto the cooling rack!)
Some of the chunks didn't make the visual appeal ;).
However, after the first batch, I did not put the extra chunks on the top...
So this is what they came out looking like. Also the brownie chunks had ceased to be frozen and they looked messier.
That said... the chunks on top were not as good, so the messier version actually won with taste and texture. 
 
So if you're making these to photo, be sure to add some in tact chunks to the top... 
If you're making them to eat and don't care as much about how 'pretty' they look, just stir in the brownie and enjoy the deliciousness of this somewhat messy cookie!
I do have to say that they were actually delicious both ways though. 
 
I just preferred the mixed in only cookies.
As you can see by this photo below, there was one person in my household who did not want to wait for me to take photos of these!
I love the hand sneaking in for the steal. ;)
I assure you he did get a cookie not too much after this.
And a sippy cup of milk to help rinse it down. Highly suggest eating with milk ;).
Enjoy!
Print Recipe 

2 comments:

  1. Wait. Chunks of brownie that didn't get eaten? I... don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Due to pregnancy brain I accidentally left how we had brownies leftover... We had made them late at night (a family sized box - so a 9x13 pan) and didn't eat the whole pan that night. The next morning I cut them into chunks and put them in the freezer (before hubby came home for lunch or my toddler could get to them...) I had enough will power (and desire to make these cookies) that I did not eat a half a pan of brownies for breakfast (just a few chunks.)

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.