Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Chocolate Ganache Frosting

I know I said I'd be posting this a few weeks ago...  but you know what? I am overly optimistic about how easy things will be. I started potty training my son and it has taken a lot more of my time than I had imagined (and more of my patience than I can state.) I have also learned that I have one VERY headstrong child. He has to use the big person potty (not the small one we have for him) AND he won't sit on the seat, he lifts it up and sits on the porcelain... I have no clue why... I've learned it's better not to fight it and just let him do it how he wants, because then it is a better experience for both of us! Let's just say that if I'd had this cake on hand during the first few days of potty training it might not have made it past the first day! I was so frazzled and exhausted that I would have eaten it all. Probably a good thing I didn't have it then! However, it is a cake that I'm going to be making a lot more in the future... we really enjoyed it (especially with the chocolate frosting!)

Chocolate Ganache Frosting
You'll need heavy whipping cream. About 1 and a quarter cups. Unless you're a perfectionist then make it exactly 1-1/4 cups.
You'll also need butter- 1 Tbsp of it.
and chocolate... 2 cups of it. I used dark chocolate, but semi-sweet would work as well!
Bring the cream to a simmer over medium heat,
Add the butter
Let simmer for 1 minute more,
Pour over the chocolate
Then let rest for 5 minutes to allow the chocolate to melt.
Stir until smooth.
Let cool slightly.
Pour on top of cake,
Smooth the top and let it drizzle down the side.
Then even the frosting on the side.
The cake I used was cold which helped the ganache thicken and set faster.

I highly suggest placing some wax or parchment paper on the serving dish if you want it to look decent... at least I can never frost a cake and have the plate look good afterward! Is it just me, or does anyone else have this problem?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.