Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tuesday Treats: Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Last week I posted the recipe for Easy Death By Chocolate Cake, and this week I'm posting the recipe I used for the frosting. I really love this recipe I found at Joy The Baker. I did make a few tweaks, naturally. Honestly if I ever make a recipe without changing anything... I was actually thinking about inventing and creating really good food last night as I was making a whipping cream and strawberry dish. I started thinking about how some people do not think they can create things in the kitchen, whereas I just start mixing things that I think would go together. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. I try not to talk about the ones that don't.

Back to the chocolate frosting... You can't go wrong with chocolate, butter and sugar! Honestly I have a desire to go make this frosting right now and eat it straight from the bowl. Instead I'm going to drool over the keyboard as I post pictures of the frosting (and eat cheese and crackers - not close to the same thing.)


Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Printable Recipe at Joy the Baker
In a medium mixing bowl, combine 1.5 sticks (or 3/4 cup) butter,
1/4 cup cocoa powder,1/4 cup special dark cocoa powder and 1/4 tsp salt.
Beat until creamy - you may be tempted to taste this right now, but unless you like unsweetened chocolate I would not suggest it. It really does look deceptively delicious!
Scrape sides of the bowl.
Add 2 cups Powdered Sugar.
While beating in powdered sugar mix in 1/8 cup milk and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
 Beat until all sugar is mixed in.
In a separate container combine 1/4 cup heavy cream and 1/3 cup ovaltine.
Beat ovaltine and cream into the frosting mixture until combined.
The frosting is smooth and creamy. Now is an excellent time to taste it.  In fact, you can see the finger swipe in the bowl from when I did it...  Let's be honest it was too tempting not to.
Next frost the cake or cupcakes with this delicious frosting!
Or you could just eat it straight out of the bowl. I would understand, I also wouldn't tell anybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.