Thursday, April 8, 2010

BBQ Onion Burgers

Spring is well on the way, and with that comes gardens and barbecuing... I've been craving a good burger lately... When I spotted a recipe for BBQ Toasted Patty Melts on Real Mom Kitchen's blog, I knew I had to make it. Partly because I really wanted a burger and partly because my husband is a real fan of BBQ sauce. I did make a few changes to the recipe that I found... of course, I couldn't just leave a recipe alone! Unfortunately I had to pan cook the meat since it was WAY too windy outside to actually grill the meat. 
BBQ Onion Burgers

Saute one onion, sliced in 1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil.
Cook until they start to tenderize.
Add 1/3 cup BBQ sauce.
Coat onions and cook until tender.
Reserve cooked onions.
While onions are cooking, grab 1 lb hamburger.
Add 1/2 tsp Onion Powder, 1 tsp Garlic Powder, 1/4 tsp Black Pepper and 1/8 cup BBQ Sauce.
Mix together. You can also add an egg to keep the hamburgers from falling apart during cooking - this is especially useful when you use a higher fat content hamburger.
 Shape into patties. 
Clean out the pan you used to cook the onions (I used a paper towel to wipe it clean.)
Place patties into hot pan. (Or if it is warm enough outside and the wind isn't blowing things everywhere - fire up the grill and grill these suckers!)
Cook until hamburgers are browned about 2/3 up the sides. Then turn over.
Cook until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. 
Top with cheese slices (if you want the cheese to melt over the burgers in the pan, place on burger when the internal temperature is 150 Degrees.)
Place burger on toasted bun and top with onions.
Enjoy!
Print Recipe 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Crystal. This looks like a burger my hubby and I would totally love. Not on a date night, but a regular night :) Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious. I am going to have to get my hubby to grill some burgers. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.