Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tuesday Treats: Oreo Truffles

So I was going to be posting about ChocOat Chocolate chip cookies today, until I found a recipe for Oreo Truffles and made them last week. They were my birthday treat. I really like ice-cream cake or cheesecake for my birthday, but I didn't want to make a cheesecake and it isn't in the budget this month to buy either of the two. So instead I made these delicious treats. I really like cookies and cream ice cream as well as the Hershey's Cookies and Cream candy bars. These truffles top both of them! What they remind me of is the white chocolate covered Oreo cookies that usually hit the stores around Christmas. I find those a little too sweet though. The cream cheese in these calms down the sweetness a bit. I split the package of Oreos in half and made half of the truffles using filling and half without. The verdict: They are both to die for. The truffles without the filling are less sweet, they are also harder to form into balls and a few fell apart during the white chocolate coating stage (they met their demise sooner than the rest and my taste buds were happy). The work involved to de-cream the Oreos may not be worth the effort. That said I would probably do it again!
I am brainstorming about making an Oreo truffle cheesecake in the future. I have some ideas that I need to tweak though and I also need to stay away from sugar for a while after eating all of these delicious treats.

Oreo Truffles

In a food processor (or blender, or in a bag using a rolling pin to smash them - use whatever you have), process one package of Oreo cookies (with or without the filling) until you have fine crumbs. Place in a mixing bowl and add 8 ounces of softened cream cheese.
This first bowl had the cream filling, while the one below did not. You cannot really see the difference, but the one below is finer as the cream filling does help it stick together. I used 4 ounces cream cheese in each bowl, due to splitting the package of Oreos.
Beat until smooth (I would suggest following the original recipe in beating the cream cheese until smooth and then adding the cookie crumbs in increments, it sounds easier than adding the cream cheese to the cookie mixture). I did end up using my hands to make sure there were no stray swirls of cream cheese. The original recipe suggests using a wooden spoon (but then you can't lick your hands clean... I do end up washing my hands a lot when I cook.)
Place the Oreo mixture in the fridge for 20-40 minutes, then shape into balls. I used a 1/2 Tbsp measuring spoon to help shape them (and incidentally each ball contained about 1/2 Tbsp of the Oreo Mixture.)
Don't they just look delicious already? It gets better...
After you shape them into balls, place in the fridge for another 20-40 minutes (or more, I let them stay in longer due to my son wanting to eat.)
Melt 2 cups white chocolate in microwave. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each increment until there are no lumps left. Remove the Oreo balls from the fridge, coat in white chocolate and place on wax paper.
They are getting there... Typing this post makes me want to eat one, too bad they are already gone. :(
Place in the fridge until the white chocolate is set.
I decorated mine with melted milk chocolate piped onto the tops before the white chocolate wa set. The original recipe said to use some cookie crumbs previously prepared. I think another great alternative would be to just add some crumbs to the white chocolate so it was speckled (that way at the end when there are specks in it anyway, you could say you did it on purpose.)
Enjoy!

Printer Friendly
Original Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.