Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tuedsay Treats: Lime-Coconut cookies

Welcome to Tuesday Treats... I almost feel deceptive having this as my first post, because really my absolute favorite desserts have chocolate in them. These have no hint of chocolaty goodness but they are delicious. I ran across the idea using a sugar cookie mix, but since I never buy them, I had to come up with the proper proportions. This is what resulted. I must say that this recipe was the first attempt at making them and I am somewhat proud that they turned out so well. The whole reason I found this idea is that I was looking to use up two limes that I had bought and not used. I also had some coconut that needed using, so it was perfect.

I will warn you that you should use finely shredded lime peel or else you will have funny green strips in your cookies. Seriously, my husband stopped eating his cookie to make sure it wasn't a bug or some other thing that didn't belong in a cookie. I used my julienne peeler = BAD IDEA. So do yourself and anyone who may eat these a favor and make sure the peel is very finely shredded or ground. Do yourself another favor and don't eat them all in 2 days.

Lime-Coconut Cookies
In a medium or large mixing bowl, beat 2 cups granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter with electric mixer on medium speed.
add an egg
1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
and 3.5 cups flour.
Next add 1 cup coconut, 1 Tbsp lime peel and 4 Tbsp lime juice. Mix until blended.
On cookie sheet, drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are browned. Do not cook until the cookie turns brown, just until the edges turn a golden brown
or a little darker (both of these batches turned out just great - however I did like the first where they weren't so dark.)
Enjoy! Just don't eat the whole batch in two days like I did. That's not entirely true, I sent some to work with my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.