Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tuesday Treats: Oreo Truffle Cheesecake

So I have decided that it is so much easier to write a blog post about yummy treats if I am eating while posting. Not necessarily good for my health, but hey when it comes to cheesecake, I really don't care. However, if I were to have been eating during this whole blog post (and editing the photos), I could have finished the whole cheesecake off!

Have I ever told you that cheesecake is about my most favorite dessert ever! It definately is... and maybe that is because it is a special treat. I usually only have cheesecake 2-3 times per year (for obvious reasons) so it is a novelty. Plus each year I try to make a new type of cheesecake so there is always a new variety. Each fall I usually make a pumpkin cheesecake for Hubby. I may not do that this year since I made this cheesecake so late in the year.

So remember when I made Oreo Truffles? I said that I wanted to make a cheesecake - well I did just that! I started out by making a white chocolate cheesecake and then adding some crushed oreos to part of the cheesecake mixture and either swirling them or layering them. Trust me swirling is easier! Then I topped it with a white chocolate ganache topping. It is amazingly delicious... It is also kind of like a cookies and cream cheesecake - but only if you leave off the topping.

Oreo Truffle Cheesecake

Crust: Mix 2-1/2 cups oreo crumbs (centers removed), 1/4 cup sugar
and 1/2 cup butter. Press onto bottom and up sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Bake 10 minutes at 325.

Filling:
Melt 12 ounces white chocolate in microwave -
melt for 30 seconds and stir, then continue in 20 second increments until completely melted.
Set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, mix together 4 (8-oz) packages softened cream cheese.
Add 1/2 cup sugar and mix until combined.
Add an egg and mix on low speed.
Add another egg and beat until combined.
Next, add another egg, beating until just blended.Guess what we're adding next? If you guessed another egg, you're correct. This is the 4th and final egg we're beating into the cream cheese mixture.
Beat just until blended.
After adding the eggs separately, add the reserved white chocolate. Speaking of white chocolate, did you know that the only part of white chocolate that has any chocolate origin is the cocoa butter? Another thing is that most white chips do not contain cocoa butter (and cannot be named white chocolate - usually white morsels.) Try to find those that use cocoa butter as they are the REAL things! In a pinch morsels will do, better to have morsels then not to try this cheesecake!
Blend the white chocolate into the cream cheese mixture.
Pour all but 1-1/2 cups batter over the crust.
Mix the reserved batter
and 2-3 cups oreo crumbs (centers included)
until well mixed.

Add spoonfuls of the oreo mixture to the white chocolate batter. Cut through with a knife for a marbled effect.Or if you want to try something crazy, you can try to make it a layer, by spreading the oreo mixture over the white chocolate... It is a pain, so I'm advising the marble effect!
Place springform pan on a cookie sheet and bake for 50-55 minutes at 350 degrees.
Remove from oven and let cool for 1 hour. Finish cooling in a refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.Topping:
Melt 1-1/2 cups white chocolate chips either on the stove or in the microwave following the same method as used for the cheesecake filling.
Stir in 1/4 cup whipping cream
and 1 tsp vanilla extract
Mix well.
Place cooled cheesecake on work surface.
Pour and spread over cheesecake. Refrigerate until chocolate is set up, about 3-5 hours.Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen.
Remove sides of pan.
Cut to desired size. We like to cut it into 12 or more pieces as cheesecake is rich!
One more hint: Cut with a clean knife, if you use a knife like the one pictured below,
You will have lines like these where you cut the cake. Which are fine unless you are trying to impress others. You'll notice the piece in the middle, it was cut with a clean knife. Isn't it beautiful? I served less beautiful slices just so you could see what happens (I also was not trying to impress with this cheesecake!)Serve chilled.
To garnish, you can use crushed oreo crumbs and sprinkle on top, or cut up oreos. (I would have used a garnish but I misplaced my garnish oreos, the ones I set aside to use as garnish and hid from others so they wouldn't eat them - I found them about a week later!)
Enjoy!
Printer Friendly

1 comment:

  1. Seriously!? Shame on you. You didn't share THAT with me.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.