Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Beef Carnita

I can't believe it's already almost the end of November!! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone - tomorrow. This dish is not a Thanksgiving dish or even close, but it is delicious! Hubby has been after me to make it for about a month since I briefly mentioned it and made Beef and Broccoli instead. It has been nice since lately the roasts at our local store have been on sale for as cheap as you can buy 75/25 hamburger. I don't think it is a hard decision to make... so we have quite a few roasts.

Wrapping the roast in aluminum foil to cook it helps keep in the moisture making this very tender. Be sure to use a roast that is not marbled with fat as it will make it harder to shred. We used these to make 'naked' burritos. The name comes from Qdoba Mexican Grill, a place we use to eat before we moved. I really loved that place, it had really good food. A naked burrito is a burrito without a tortilla shell. I have missed eating at Qdoba since we moved, but after making this meal, I felt like I can make a meal that comes close to their shredded beef burrito. Now all I need to do is figure out the seasonings for the shredded pork. That was my weakness. (Just a side note, if you get some of the juices from a shredded pork quesadilla on your fingers while feeding your 4 week old baby - DO NOT break a latch using one of those fingers... please trust me on that one. It was worse than the lemon juice finger I had while in the hospital right after giving birth. Its moments like those when you wonder why you think you were qualified to be a parent!)

I'm just going to show you the recipe now, before I start spilling all my parenting mistakes.

Beef Carnita


Mix together: 
1/4 cup salsa, 2 Tbsp Chipolte hot sauce,
2 Tbsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 2 cloves garlic-minced,


1 4oz can chopped green chilis
in a bowl.

Place 2-4 pound roast on Heavy Aluminum foil. I would suggest a 4 lb roast because if you are going to go through all this work you may as well have leftovers!
Rub seasoning mix over roast.
Wrap foil around beef.



Place on a baking sheet or in a baking pan. Bake at 350 for 3-4 hours or until beef falls apart.
Remove from oven, let cool slightly.
Shred using two forks and place shredded beef and juices from cooking in a saucepan. Simmer for 20 minutes. Serve.
 Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.