Thursday, July 7, 2011

Teriyaki Bowl

Do you have ingredients in your house that are 'always' there? You know, the kind you never think of buying because you just always have them? Soy sauce is one of those ingredients that it seems I always have on hand. Unfortunately, like most ingredients it does seem to run out and I only remember when I am about to use it. I honestly do NOT remember using the last of my soy sauce... however when it came to making this, I did not have any on hand. One quick run to the grocery store later. We had this for dinner. 

My sister first introduced this to my family earlier this year. Since then, I have made it a few times and we love it. She says the name came from a place/dish that she and her husband ate at in college. The bonus - it can be a lot quicker and easier if you buy a teriyaki marinade/sauce instead of making it yourself! However, I do recommend making your own sauce, at least once.
Teriyaki Bowl
To start, put some rice on to cook and start steaming broccoli and carrots.

 For the sauce: First you'll need to juice 2 oranges - if it does not equal 1 cup add water until you have 1 cup liquid.
 You'll also need 1/3 cup green onion, chopped.
 Next, add 2 tsp sesame oil.
 Sesame oil is very flavorful,
 a little goes a long way.
 You'll also need 2 tablespoons ginger - minced.
 I actually cheat and grate the ginger. I once tried using a garlic press (I'm all about short cuts)... after one maybe two tries I no longer had a garlic press. The bottom popped off. Wouldn't suggest trying it!
Moving on... You'll also need honey.
 2 Tbsp to be exact.
 It helps to spray any measuring instrument used for measuring honey with non-stick cooking spray. Comes out great ;).
 You'll also need 2 Tbsp minced garlic.
 I used a garlic press.
You'll also need Soy Sauce. I prefer using the reduced sodium version. However, you can use whichever you think tastes best.
You'll need 1/2 cup.
 Pour it into the rest of the mixture.
I loved watching the soy sauce spreading into the mixture.
 Mix it all together. Use as a marinade for the meat, if desired.
 I actually used it before I added soy sauce (mainly because the soy sauce was still on it's way and I wanted to get the meat cooked!) I've used chicken or beef - they both work great!
 Pour the sauce into a saucepan and add 1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1 Tbsp water. Mix well.
 Bring to a boil, and let thicken. Be sure to keep stirring as it comes to a boil.
 Place cooked rice in the bottom of a bowl. Add cooked meat, and steamed broccoli and carrots. Top with sauce.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.