Thursday, July 14, 2011

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

 While visiting my sister years ago, she made a 'reverse' cordon bleu casserole. Basically they wrapped a slice of deli ham around a chicken tender and a slice of cheese. Then topped with sauce. Very tasty and I love it. However, I wanted to use leftover ham chunks from a ham I had cooked and decided to try the recipe with just chunks. The verdict: every-bit as delicious and easier. Score. I love making things easier, especially when taste doesn't suffer. This is a perfect casserole for leftover ham and leftover chicken. The last time I made it, I actually used cut up chicken that I grilled earlier in the week - absolutely wonderful. Oh, and I used hickory smoked bacon instead of ham (mainly because Hubby requested the dish and bacon was cheaper to buy than ham. I didn't have any ham left over at the time.) This is a great dish to experiment with. Next time I make it I'm going to add some sauteed onions and possibly bell peppers.

What are some classic dishes you have seen turned successfully into a casserole?

Cordon Bleu Casserole
First you'll need 2 cups ham chunks,
 and 2 cups chicken (I've used raw and cooked - raw needs to cook longer, but works just as well.)
You'll also need some evaporated milk - about 1 cup (add more if you like a lot of sauce.)
 You'll also need 3 oz of cream cheese, softened and whisked.
  Add the milk to the cream cheese a bit at a time.
Mixing to combine.
 Repeat until all evaporated milk has been added.
   Next, add 1-1/2 tsp chicken bouillon or soup base. (Alternatively you can add 1 can cream of chicken soup to 1-1/2 oz cream cheese.)
 Mix well,
 add to chicken and ham.

 Next, add 1 cup mozzarella cheese
 and 1 cup Swiss cheese. I personally like to use all mozzarella cheese as Swiss is one type of cheese that neither Hubby or I really enjoy eating.
 Mix the cheese into the meat mixture.
 Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
 Top with 1 more cup of cheese (either Mozzarella or Swiss.)
 Bake at 350 Degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted. (If you used raw meat, increase the baking time to 45 minutes.)
 Let cool for at least 5 minutes.
 Serve over rice.
 You could use pasta as well, but we really enjoy it over rice.
 This is a heavier meal and I like to serve it with a light salad to balance it out. 

Enjoy!
Print Recipe 

2 comments:

  1. This is comfort food at its finest! I made enough to freeze for a quick supper, which were having tonight! My partner loves this recipe. Great job Crystal!

    Gary and Rowell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! This is one of my husband's favorites.

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.