Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cordon Bleu Pizza

Today has been one of those days! I feel like I've been running around a lot, but it has also been a good day. This post is about 12 hours later than I wanted, but hey! it's here.
This is the second time I made a Cordon Bleu pizza, but the first that I made it from scratch - last time I topped it with left over Cordon Bleu Casserole. This is now one of our favorite pizzas! I am not the hugest fan of Swiss cheese - I'm not sure why but I really don't like it. However my father was one of my taste testers and loves it. We both like the pizza so on one end it doesn't have too much Swiss flavor but on the other end it has enough flavor. If you really like Swiss cheese you can use it in replacement of half of the Mozzarella cheese. I hope you enjoy this pizza - I know we all did!

Cordon Bleu Pizza


First to start, prepare one Pizza crust recipe.  I actually added somewhere between 1-2 Tbsp of honey to the pizza crust this time and loved it! While the crust is in it's initial 10 minute baking,
Cook 1-2 chicken breasts, cut into pieces until cooked through. You can also used cut up pre-cooked chicken (great use for left over chicken!)
 Also, in a pan add 3 Tbsp butter,

 Let it melt.
 Add 2 Tbsp all purpose flour. Using a whisk, stir together.
 Add 1/4 cup cream. Let it sit until it starts to simmer, then mix with the butter and sugar.

 I added about 1/4 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 tsp onion powder.
Add 3/4 to 1 cup milk, bring to simmer, 
 then mix with a wire whisk.
The mixture should coat the back of the spoon.
Next, we're adding the Swiss flavor - 1 cup grated Swiss cheese.
 Throw that into the milk and flour mixture.
 Mix until cheese is completely melted.
Add 3 oz cream cheese (room temperature) cut into pieces.
 Stir until combined.
 Pour over crust and spread evenly.
 Top with cooked chicken and Canadian Bacon or ham pieces.
 One suggestion from myself and the family - put the chicken under the ham. It will help keep it moist.
 Top with 2 cups cheese or more if you're in my family and have cheese loving family members.
 Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.  Remove from oven and cut into slices.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Oh!! This is brilliant. Pizza is such a fantastic base for all sorts of crazy creations. I'm actually making pizza on Sat...got something super in mind! Seeing your lovely creative pizza has got my juices flowing! (and drooling)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm, that's a good idea! I love the flavors of chicken cordon bleu...I think I'd mix the swiss and mozz...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to introduce this to my face.

    Actually, maybe I should introduce it to a friend of mine - we met working at a job that had a cafe nearby, and the cafe had Cordon Bleu Day every Tuesday or whatever, and it was pretty much a religion for this friend.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.