Thursday, October 13, 2011

Slow Cooker Asian 'BBQ' Chicken

I love cooking in a slow cooker, or crockpot as it is usually called. What's the difference? A slow cooker is any brand, whereas a crock pot is a brand name (they call themselves the original slow cooker.) I would have to disagree with that, there were slow cookers before electricity, it just usually involved digging a hole in the ground. Sometime I'm going to cook using that type of method, but it won't be until it warms up again. 

Speaking of warming up, exactly one week ago it was snowing... you read that right! Snowing. mid-day. I was about ready to throw something at the sky (until I realized that it would probably come back and hit me!) The week before that it was 81 degrees, today it got to 63. I'll tell you what - the weather is crazy! I'm glad it got warmed up again, I couldn't take winter in October. It's barely even Autumn...

Anyway, I digress... Today I'm going to be sharing with you an awesome recipe for slow-cooked chicken with an Asian flair. It reminded me so much of BBQ that I had to add that to the name. It was gone before I got to take a picture of it (or remembered to take one would be more correct!) So there still is no finished picture, but next time I make it I will definitely get one posted!

Slow Cooker Asian 'BBQ' Chicken

First you'll need some chicken - I used thighs that I skinned and boned (used those to make some chicken broth.)
In a bowl, combine 1 tsp basil (dried)
4-5 cloves garlic,
minced.
About 1 tsp ginger-root,
grated.
You'll also need ketchup (I prefer getting it with no HFCS but that's just me. I once tried it with no salt but I wouldn't recommend it.)
You'll need 1/2 cup of it.
Just dump it in the bowl.
You'll also need soy sauce (like always, I use reduced sodium.)
Also 1/2 cup.
Add it to everything else.
Next, you'll need a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Fill it with honey.
Dump the honey in with everything else.
The spray helps it come out of the measuring cup so much easier!
You'll also need Raspberry Vinegar (you can also use Red Wine Vinegar or Balsamic Vinegar.)
Add 1 Tbsp to the mixture.
Next, comes the hot sauce.
1 teaspoon.
Toss it in with everything else.
Mix to combine.
Pour over the chicken.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve over rice.
Enjoy!
(Like I said I don't have a finished picture, so sorry the last one still has raw chicken!) 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like lots of tasty stuff in there! I'd love to try it. The weather around here has been crazy, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.