Friday, October 21, 2011

Chili Rubbed Sirloin Steak

This steak I bought on "Manager's Special"  - which is a fancy way of saying they marked it down to sell before the sell by date. I promptly brought it home and stuck it in the freezer. (There were actually 3 steaks I think, but I only used one when I cooked this.) It has always been hard for me to buy beef from the store... why? because I grew up getting beef from a ranch that was 2.5 miles from my house. It also didn't hurt that my grandparents owned the ranch and my parents only had to pay butchering costs! I also knew that the cows were treated right - my grandparents cared about their cows. It wasn't organic because they would give their cows antibiotics when they needed them (ie. when a calf had pneumonia.) The cows are pasture fed though, and I love that. Its just old fashioned ranching (the land has been in the family for 4 generations). I'm going to eventually be buying from the ranch (still in the family now that my grandparents are both deceased), but for now it's store bought stuff (until we save enough to buy the cow - at a reduced price I'm sure ;), and pay the butcher!)


Back to this steak... it turned out great and I am excited to share this recipe with you!
 Chili Rubbed Sirloin Steak
First, you'll need spices for the rub - 1 tsp of Garlic Powder and 2 tsp of Chili Powder. You'll also want to add about 1 tsp salt (not pictured.)
1/4 tsp of Black Pepper and 1/4 tsp of Ground Cumin.
You'll also need 1/4 tsp of Smoked Paprika. If you're feeling adventurous, go ahead and add 1/2 tsp of it. If using regular paprika definitely go with 1/2 tsp. But seriously the smoked makes a HUGE difference. (I just started using it this year and LOVE it.)
Mix them all together in a bowl or small container.
My son decided to help me, so I let him stir the spices...
You'll also need a steak (bet you couldn't have guessed that one!)
And Olive Oil.
Trim the excess fat off the steak.
Pour about 2 tsp Olive Oil over one side of the steak,
then rub it all over so it is coated.
Flip the steak over,
add 2 more tsp olive oil,
and rub it all over.
Sprinkle with half of the spices.
Rub them in (ps, my camera doesn't like the color of paprika it always messes up the coloring and I can't get it right!)
Flip it back over and top with remaining spice mixture.
Rub it in.
Place on a cookie sheet or double broiler pan. Broil about 4 inches from heat at about 450 degrees (or on high if you can't set the broiler temp) for 5 min on each side if you want Medium-Rare or about 9-10 minutes on each side for Well Done. I did about 8 minutes and it was Medium-Well (closer to well than medium!)
 
Remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes (helps seal in juices.)
Slice on angle at desired thickness.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This steak rub looks amazing, I will definitely be trying this when they go on sale. Check out my site for your Liebster blog award. Love your blog!

    http://millerfamilyorganizer.blogspot.com/2011/10/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.