Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tuesday Treats: Tips on Chocolate Chip Cookies

I will give my recipe on chocolate chip cookies but I also want to give some tips on how to choose a good recipe, at least what I think makes a great cookie. Chocolate Chip Cookies are such a tradition and they are super easy to make, there are tons of recipes out there with little variation. Here is what I have found makes a good Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe:
1. Ratio of granulated sugar to brown sugar. There should be twice as much brown sugar as regular sugar. It really does make a difference.
2. Salt, believe it or not, but salt adds to the cookie flavor. (However, if you want to just eat the cookie dough, leave out the salt. Also leave out eggs and then enjoy the cookie dough!)
The next two are about technique.
3. Take time to cream the butter before you add the sugar and creaming the butter and sugar together until airy.
4. About 30 seconds to a minute before the cookies are done, remove from the oven and let them finish cooking on the cookie sheet.
I hope that helps you make great Chocolate Chip Cookies!

Chocolate Chip Cookies

In a medium or large mixing bowl, beat 1 cup butter for 1 minute (I skipped this step because I was in a hurry.) Add 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
Beat together for 2 minutes or until light and airy.
Add 1 tsp Vanilla, beat for 1 minute.
Add 1 egg, beat for 1 minute.
Add another egg and beat for 2 minutes.
Add 1 tsp salt. Beat for an additional minute.
Add 1/2 tsp baking soda, mixing just until combined. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl as you go along.
Add 2-1/2 to 3 cups flour and beat until just blended. I added half wheat flour, and I really think that chocolate chip cookies need all purpose unbleached flour not whole wheat flour (but that is just my opinion...)
Add 2 cups chocolate chips. I used 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips. One tip is if you like semi-sweet and your Hubby likes milk chocolate (as is our case) you can use 1 cup of each and they turn out great and satisfy both of your tastes! (We happened to only have 1 package of chocolate chips as the milk chocolate chips got eaten before I made anything with them...)
Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes in a 350°F oven.
Remove from oven about 30 seconds to 1 minute before the cookies are totally cooked. Let them finish cooking as the cookie sheet cools off. Do not put the cookie sheet on the oven over the oven vent or they may overcook.
Enjoy with a large glass of milk!

8 comments:

  1. this look yummy and I adore your step by step pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooooo I have a COZY KITCHEN TOO !
    yOUR COOKIES LOOK GREAT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a coincidence! I've baked similar cookies just yesterday night. But they are more colorful ;) Soon I'll post them on my blog.
    Yours cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the colors look nice on your blog! follow along with me and get in on the giveaways, pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another thing to remember: put the baking soda in very last before your chocolate chips. Baking soda loses its potency to make your cookies fat and airy the more it's beaten. By putting it in very last, my cookies no longer come out flat and thin but fat and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your step by step pictures...and the recipes looks great and tasteful.
    I want to invite you to visit mey blog, if you need there's a translator for your language, ok,
    hugs
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool blog. Growing up, my family wasn't that big into eating all together at the dinner table. We all had different schedules and some of us would be in either our rooms, living room, etc. That's nice you all make time for that.

    Welcome to the Foodie Blog Roll, by the way. I recently started my own Seattle-based food blog called Om Nom Nom Nom. Feel free to stop by and follow at www.nmos-omnomnomnom.blogspot.com. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow... YUM! I tried them and they were great! The recipe was step by step and very helpful.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.