Thursday, September 3, 2009

French Toast Bites

I just realized that every time I have started to write a post lately, I wanted to start out with 'So'... I think I have started at least half of my posts with that word in the past two weeks. It must be my pet word currently. Or I feel I must explain myself. I am going to try not to do that in the future... We'll see if it works.

Do you ever wonder what to do with the crusts from bread? If you're like me, you don't like to eat them plain or in a sandwich. There is the alternative of using them to make croutons or home made stuffing. I tend to stick mine in the freezer and forget about them until they are freezer burnt. Or I forget to stick them in the freezer and they get moldy. When I do remember to put them in the freezer and am not in need of croutons and am not going to make home made stuffing - wait, who am I kidding, I have never made home made stuffing - I make French Toast Bites. These are a really fun way to have french toast.

French Toast Bites

In a medium or large bowl (yes I realize that this bowl is not medium or large, but trust me it was a mistake), beat 3 eggs and 2-3 Tbsp milk together.
Add 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, and 1 Tablespoon brown sugar beat until combined. Set aside.
Using the ends of loaves (I actually have a couple of regular pieces of bread as well),
cut 6 pieces of bread into strips.
Next, cut into cubes, then (this is where the bowl size matters) toss them into the egg mixture and toss to coat.
Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a non-stick skilled over medium-high heat.
Place cut up bread coated in egg mixture into the pan and cook until heated through. If desired, melt more butter over these while in the pan (it is a little hard to butter them individually.) Pour maple syrup over them and toss to coat. Serve immediately with a tall glass of cold milk.
Enjoy!

Printer Friendly

6 comments:

  1. Great idea! I'll be sure to try this soon. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this idea!!! I will definitely be making these for my daycare kids!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. best idea ever! trying it this weekend, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of french toast, french toast sticks, now french toast bites which tops them all...this is great

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was one of the favorite recipes from the Family Recipe Exchange! It's featured today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was entirely right.
    This post truly made my day. You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this info!
    Thanks!
    Look into my web site :: PregnancyMiracle

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.