Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thai Peanut Noodle Salad

For the longest time my husband tried to convince me to make a Thai dish, Pad Thai to be specific. I hesitated, after all I'd never tried it and it was from a part of the world that I've never been to (not that I'd mind going, but I'm not a world traveler.) Finally, I gave in and made it in 2008. I can't believe I waited so long! Since then I've been a bit more daring about making ethnic cuisine I've never tried. When I first heard of Thai Peanut Noodle Salad, I was a bit skeptical - I'm not a fan of pasta in green salads. However, I've been converted and LOVE this dish. However, we are pretty much not spicy food people, so I've tame down most of the spiciness. I have given a range of amount of hot sauce to add for those of you who like spicier food. If you're not sure, be sure to add a smaller amount - you can always add more. Also if using a Thai Garlic Chili sauce and not the Sriracha sauce, it may be more spicy. Trust me on that one :).

Thai Peanut Noodle Salad
You'll need 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce,
and honey,
two tablespoons of honey to be exact.
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 garlic clove, minced (if the cloves are small use two)
1 Tbsp peanut butter

and curry powder,
1/2 tsp of the stuff.

 sriracha (chili sauce)
1/2 tsp (unless you like it spicy then add 1-2 tsp.)
You'll also need some rice vinegar
Pour in 1 tablespoon.
Also add 1 Tbsp minced ginger.
Toss in 1 lb chicken, cut into chunks.
Toss to coat. Let marinade for about 30 minutes. If you are pressed for time, you can buy a marinade/sauce - I've used a Peanut Satay sauce and added 2 Tbsp honey. Worked out great.
Fry in non-stick pan until cooked through.
While chicken is marinading, make the dressing: I'm just going to warn you, this dressing is not visually appealing, but tastes delicious!
Dressing adapted from Our Best Bites
These are all the ingredients you'll need...
Juice and zest of one lime, 2 clove garlic, crushed.
1 Tbsp ginger, cut into chunks (you'll be blending it so it doesn't have to be finely minced.)
1 Tbsp rice vinegar, 2 tsp sesame oil,
1/8 cup soy sauce,
1/8 cup honey,
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 cup oil (vegetable, canola or Olive oil - I prefer light OO as it doesn't add any flavor.)
1/2 cup peanut butter (I think natural works best, but use any kind - this above was just plain regular creamy cheap brand.) You may want to add 1 Tbsp to 1/4 cup water to thin this down.

You'll also need 1/2 to 2 teaspoons sriracha (or other garlic chili sauce) and 1/2 tsp salt (reduce to 1/4 tsp if not using natural peanut butter.)
Blend until combined. As I mentioned, it isn't so pretty, but it does taste delicious.
Add 1/2 of the dressing to 6 oz cooked linguine noodles. I really want to try using rice noodles with this salad, I think that would be great as well.
You'll also want some dry roasted peanuts,
chopped of course, for garnish.
For the salad, you'll need salad greens (I used mixed baby greens), matchstick carrots, sliced red onion, bell pepper strips (preferably 2 different colors), purple cabbage (cut into strips)
the pasta, chicken and dressing.
Assemble salad any way you please.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Not only does this look delicious as a salad, the chicken marinade looks pretty awesome just as it is! It's definitely going in my "only me" file - my dear husband, for all his good qualities, just can't get behind peanut sauces.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.