Friday, August 12, 2011

Chicken Souvlaki

For those of you who follow me on twitter or facebook, you'll know that my husband and I are trying to buy a house (finally.) This adventure has taken up A LOT of my time lately. Especially since the house we're trying to buy is 30 miles from where we currently live (I think it will make a cute home with a little work). Every time we go look at houses for sale, property or meet with the realtor, it means an extra hour and a half of travel time for me. (We're looking there as that's where hubby's job is located, so I really shouldn't complain as he makes the commute every day!) Thus I haven't had a lot of extra time, and when I do it is typically me looking at real estate online... it gets very addicting! Today we're waiting for the response to our counter-counter offer. Wednesday I cleaned a lot while waiting for the counter offer, but today I have a horrid head cold so I'm a lot more relaxed! Or just too fuzzy headed and light headed to care.

All of this has absolutely nothing to do with Chicken Souvlaki... however, something that does: The first time I ever had Chicken Souvlaki was in Kensington, Maryland. A wonderful little shop called Continental Pizza (but they make amazing sandwiches). I fell in love with these flavors right then and there. Almost 8 years later I can still almost taste the deliciousness that I ate there. How I want to go back and eat one more of their sandwiches! Any of you in the MD area, eat one for me - k? For now I'm stuck making them myself.

Chicken Souvlaki
First, you'll need a lemon... and a zester,
or a cheese grater, it works great as well.
You'll need the zest from that lemon,
as well as the juice.
and two tablespoons olive oil.
You'll also need 3 cloves garlic,
minced.
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper,
1-1/2 tsp oregano
 
1 tsp mint
 
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp basil
  1/2 tsp marjoram,
and 1/2 tsp minced onion. Toss them all in together and mix until combined.
 You'll also need chicken - cut into bite sized pieces.
 Toss the chicken into the herb mixture.
 Next, you'll need a hot pan with 1-2 Tbsp oil in it.
 Toss in the chicken,
 Cook until done (Poultry needs to read 160 - I usually place some of the larger pieces on the thermometer to see what it reads.)
 To assemble: you'll need a pita, or flatbread, and tzatziki sauce (recipe coming a bit later today or tomorrow.)
 Top with chicken,
 Feta,
 Veggies:
tomato, bell peppers, mushrooms and lettuce are my choices.
Fold in half and devour immediately.
Enjoy!
Print Recipe 

1 comment:

  1. Well, I don't cook (visiting from MMB) and yet, this looks so good that I'm forwarding the link to my husband. Hopefully he'll make it sometime soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.