Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pear Pumpkin Soup

Every fall I have this unquenchable desire to make soup, soup and more soup. I'm always looking for great soup recipes. Of course this desire actually continues through the winter and sometimes even shows it's head in spring and summer. However, in the summer I usually push past it - soup in the summer is just too hot! I know there are cold soups, but I'm not really anxious to try it as I think my hubby would be a bit opposed to it. He tolerates eating any type of soup that is blended - including this one. However, I fully enjoyed this and would make it again tomorrow, but hubby wouldn't appreciate it very much. So since I love him, I try to limit the number of these soups I make. I think this one will be a once a year soup in our house!

Pear-Pumpkin Soup
Recipe adapted from: ItalianFoodForever.com
First, you'll need pears -2 of them to be exact. Cored and I cut a strip of skin off down the middle. You can either do the same, leave all the skin on or peel them completely. I try to leave some skin on for the added nutrition...
Roast pears in oven at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
You'll also need an onion. Just one.
However, it will need to be chopped.
Oh, and 3 Tbsp butter.
Gotta have the butter!
Melt the butter in a pan and toss the chopped onion in it. Cook until tender.
While the onion is cooking, get 3 cloves garlic,
peel and coarsely chop them.
Toss the garlic in with the onion and cook for 2 more minutes, or until onion is translucent and begins to brown.
Add in 3 to 3-1/2 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth.
Stir it in.
Next add 1 small can pumpkin OR 1-3/4 cups home-made pumpkin puree (I did the latter.)
Toss in the roasted pears.
Blend until smooth using a hand blender or an upright blender (in batches.)
Once blended, add 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
and 1/4 tsp allspice. Just do it! Cook over low heat for 10-30 minutes.
Dish into bowls, and either serve or add 1-2 Tbsp cream. (Then stir until it swirls.) I highly suggest the cream. Makes it taste divine.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Crystal, your Soup is a Recipe Guessing Game on Knapkins. Think your friends can win? http://knapkins.com/guess_games/834?source=blog

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.