Thursday, March 3, 2011

Herb Baked Eggs

Last fall I tried out a diet that had the big meal at Lunch and dinner as more of a light meal. The diet did work, but I found it hard to stick with as it basically banned natural forms of sugar. If you wanted chocolate milk you added baking cocoa and artificial sweeteners. I am not a big fan of artificial sweetener.  I first made Herb Baked Eggs as a dinner on that diet. The eggs are delicious and are very easy to make. I actually LOVE eggs. Which is weird as my mom doesn't really enjoy them very much. But my mom has bad memories of gathering eggs from chickens that liked to peck at her. I half wonder if that is the reason she doesn't really enjoy them! She does eat them, but they are not on her list of favorites. Luckily she did not influence me and I really do enjoy them.
 Herb Baked Eggs
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa: Barefoot in Paris
 First, you'll need a clove or two of garlic (one large or two small).
 Some parsley.
 Rosemary, and thyme or oregano.
 Mince all the herbs. You'll want 1/2 tsp of Rosemary.
 1 Tbsp of Parsley and 1/2 tsp of thyme or oregano (you can use 1/2 tsp of both!) I've also thrown in some fresh chives before.
 Mince the garlic - you'll want about 1/2 tsp of garlic as well.
 Grate some parmesan cheese.
 You'll need 2 Tbsp of Parmesan.
 Mix the herbs, garlic and parmesan in a bowl. Set aside.
 You also need butter.
 Cut the butter into pieces and place in a baking dish.
 Add 3 Tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream. Place butter and cream under broiler until butter is melted.
 You'll also need 8 eggs.
 Oh and salt and pepper. White or black pepper.
 Pull out the pan with the melted butter and cream.
 Slowly add the eggs into the pan.
 Don't stir.
 The butter and cream will move in around the eggs all by itself.
 Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
 Cook under the broiler for 5-10 minutes or until egg whites are cooked. Cook longer if you wish the yolks to be cooked as well.
 Remove from oven.
 Gently lift two yolks out for each person, the whites will come with the yolks. Alternatively you can cook two eggs in individual dishes (such as ramekins). I like the presentation better in individual dishes.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I love egg dishes; they are so filling and healthy. I will add this recipe to my list of thigs to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to your mom's experience. I used to help my Grandma gather eggs. Hens can be downright mean. However I love eggs AND fresh herbs and welcome any excuse to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good! (Found you on MMB)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm....that looks so good. I think want to try this soon.

    (And thanks for the comment on the Marinade blog...I hope you get an ice cream maker soon! We got ours at a second-hand store for $2, so you never know where you'll find one.)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.