Thursday, March 17, 2011

Lasagna

 Lasagna is one of my father's favorite meals. In fact, I learned this year that he usually has it on his birthday. I learned this because I made it for him on his birthday! Growing up I don't think I appreciated lasagna very much, mainly because I hated tomatoes. Since I now like tomatoes, I actually really like lasagna. It does take a bit of work to make, but is a meal that can be reheated the second day and it tastes just as good. So I highly suggest making enough for 2 meals ;).

Do you have a meal that you request for your birthday (or other special occasion?)
 Lasagna
 
Cook 6-9 pasta noodles in boiling water according to package directions.
While the pasta is cooking, in a skillet, brown 1 pound hamburger (you can use sausage, although I never do - mainly because hubby and I don't really like ground sausage.) with 1 large onion chopped (about 1 cup).
 Meanwhile, heat 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes, 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce, 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning, and 1/8 to 1/4 tsp black pepper in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
 Add the tomato mixture into the beef mixture and cook for 5 more minutes.
 Looks delicious!
 Now for the third layer. In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup ricotta cheese, 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 egg, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and 1 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley.
 Now for assembly. Layer 3 noodles in the bottom of a 2 quart baking dish.
 Top with 1/3 of the cheese filling and 1/3 of the meat filling.
 Looking good...
Sprinkle 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese over the filling.
 Repeat layers for a second time.
One more time!
Repeat for a third time...
 Pasta, cheese filling, meat sauce
  and sprinkle with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1/4 to 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
 Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
Enjoy! (For some reason I don't have a picture of the final product...)

1 comment:

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.