Saturday, January 29, 2011

Peanut Butter Snackies

 My son has become quite a mommy's boy... While sometimes it is great to feel so loved and needed, other times I would like to be able to leave the room without him complaining. One time of day he can be particularly persistent is when I am cooking dinner. He likes to come into the kitchen with me, but our kitchen is no where near child proof so I have to make sure he isn't getting into anything... However, I have found that if we do spend time in the kitchen together it makes him happier. The first thing we've made recently with him acting as my sous chef was Peanut Butter Snackies. I chose this recipe because there are only 4 ingredients... okay, the original recipe only had 3 but I HAD to add chocolate! We're a chocolate loving family, so it made perfect sense.

 Have I mentioned recently that my son is a momma's boy?  He is. Sometimes I absolutely love it, there is nothing quite so great as feeling that loved and needed. He gives the greatest hugs. However, there are some times that I really need to get things done, like cook dinner. He likes to come into the kitchen with me, but as the kitchen is far from child proof I have to be with him constantly. Doesn't work so great for a lot of the meals I make. However, I have recently decided to help him 'cook' in the kitchen with mommy. There are many child friendly recipes out there to choose from. However the first one we made together came from a Christmas present from Aunt Sarah (my son's aunt). She gave him Mouse Cookies and More by Laura Numeroff. It has 4 stories and after each story has activities. I decided to help my son make Pop's Peanut Butter Munchies (I could never remember the name so I've re-named it snackies...). It seemed easy, only 3 ingredients. So we decided to make it. Of course I had to add chocolate so I increased it to 4 ingredients. ;)

If you need ideas to help you cook together with  your family, there is a website you can visit - maketimeforchange.com. They give tips, recipes and how to videos to help families cook together. Even better, each time you visit the Kids' Cooking Academy between now and 4-25-11, Frigidaire will donate $1 to Save the Children to help make sure that more children have access to healthy foods!

Peanut Butter Snackies
You'll need 1 cup peanut butter. I used creamy, as I did not want nuts in the cookies... that whole choking hazard for children under 3.
You will also need 1 cup sugar
 and an egg
 You'll also want 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
 If cooking with younger children (my son is not quite 2) I highly suggest having everything measured out beforehand!
 Pour all ingredients into the bowl.
 I let my son add the chocolate chips while I poured the sugar. A few chips ended up on the counter, but it's all good. I think he might have eaten a few of those that didn't make it into the bowl.
 Now, add the egg.
 Give your child a chance to stir. My son couldn't manage the thickness.
 So I eventually helped him mix it.
 At this point I was very glad he had a pacifier in his mouth - then I knew he couldn't snitch the dough with the raw egg in it!



 Once the mixture is mixed completely,
 spoon about a tablespoon of dough
 and form it into a ball.

 I formed the balls and my son put them on the cookie sheet.



 Naturally I had to re-place some of them, but it was a blast!


 He also tried to form some into balls...
 or rather he mushed two together
 and then tried to eat it... luckily I caught him before the dough got into his mouth.
 Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.
 The tops will be slightly browner and will be cracking.
 Take a fork and press the cookie flat.



 Repeat with all the cookies.
 I had my son use a wooden spoon to help flatten the cookies... I didn't think it would be that wise for his little hands to be that close to the hot pan.
 You can see the cookies he flattened... as well as me catching my husband snitching a cookie!
 Spoon licking good!

 I have to share this story with you - I was taking pictures of the cookie on my son's high chair tray and he covered it up with his and and pushed me away. I could hear him thinking, "Can't I eat my cookie in peace? Stop taking pictures of my cookies!"
 The whole family enjoyed these cookies.
 The best part was making them with my son.
 Enjoy!

This recipe is linked to:

4 comments:

  1. What a neat recipe and such a cute name for them. Looks like your son had fun making these. I have a linky party going on at my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun, I love the chubby baby hands making cookies. I love cooking with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you involved your son - so cute! I bet he had a lot of fun too. The cookies couldn't be easier and I bet they're delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.