Friday, July 2, 2010

Happy Birthday America!

I just wanted to wish everybody a Happy 4th of July this Sunday! This week The Pioneer Woman has been doing a photography contest about Americana. I just thought I'd share some of the photos that I entered.
This picture reminds me of the song My Front Porch Looking In by Lonestar -
There's a carrot top who can barely walk
With a sippy cup of milk
I think it is a great song about what living in America is about - if you don't know the song I highly suggest looking up the lyrics. I also love this photo of my son because it shows how he sits and how much he loves his sippy cups.
I posted about this picture on Tuesday, but I love the combination of Whipped Cream, strawberries and blueberries. I think they make a perfect 4th of July photo. I love the selection of produce that is grown in this country.
Lastly, this picture is America to me - My grandfather and my son. The experiences of the past and the promise of the future.

My Grandfather lived through the depression and his family struggled through those hard times. He is a veteran of World War II, was very involved in the Boy Scouts of America, owned his own construction business and had a great family - two sons (the second son is my dad) and a daughter. One great accomplishment: he and my grandmother just celebrated 60 years of marriage a few months ago. He is a very upbeat and positive man. This photo was taken at his 90th birthday party.

My son completes this picture showing the future promise of the nation. It reminds me of the song by Brooks & Dunn: Only in America -
School bus driver in a traffic jam
Starin' at the faces in her rear view mirror
Looking at the promise of the Promised Land.

I hope you all have a safe and wonderful celebration of the 4th of July.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to your grandpa on his 90th. It's my favorite picture.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.