Friday, April 22, 2011

Cuban Seasoned Pork Chops

Just an FYI the soup will be posted early next week... But as promised I am posting this recipe (which tied in the poll with the Butter Parmesan Herb Pasta) from February. I can't believe I've put it off this long - but I'm finally bringing it to you! Also some good news, my husband has a draft ready to submit to his advisor and on his to do list: Schedule his Thesis Defense! Sure it probably won't be until sometime next month, but I can see a light at the end of this tunnel. It's been 2 years since he finished his coursework and at one point he was seriously considering changing his topic (comparing the visual complexity of this type of map with this type of map - and yes both types are actually in the first poster, which is made by my husband.) because the data was giving him such problems. It is great to be at this point now!

So what does that have to do with Cuban Seasoned Pork Chops - absolutely nothing. But sometimes a girl just has to brag about her honey bun. Just don't tell him I called him honey bun online. On to the pork chops, this is a recipe I pull out once in a while, basically when I have pork chops and remember how much I love it. It also helps if I'm not in an experimental mood... then I tend to try new recipes. These Pork Chops are honestly so delicious and I've tried them with rice and beans as well, it just makes them feel more authentic. It's also great because it doesn't require marinating for any period of time, which I have to admit is something I struggle with. I feel on top of things if I remember to have the meat defrosted by dinner time... anyone with me on this? Please say that there is at least one person out there who can relate.
 Cuban Seasoned Pork Chops
To start, you'll need the following: grated lime peel (from one lime - about 2 tsp), juice of one lime (about 1-2 Tbsp - I used the same lime I got the peel from), 1 Tbsp ground cumin, 1/2 Tbsp ground black pepper (it would be better if you had fresh cracked pepper), 1/2 tsp salt, 2 Tbsp olive oil (you can use vegetable oil as well), and 1 clove garlic - minced.
Mix all the above together - I know it does not look very appetizing, but this is the marinade that goes all over the pork chops. Oh, yeah speaking of pork chops - you'll need those as well! This works great with 4 pork chops, however if you want to use less, it will just mean more flavor for each one you do make!
Spread the marinade onto the chops and cook - I broiled mine using my makeshift double broiler. (Place directly onto oven rack about 4 inches under broiler - have a cookie sheet, actually more of a jelly roll pan with some water in it underneath the rack. Be sure to position the chops over the pan to catch the drippings.)
Alternatively, you can grill these... if it happens to be warm enough where you live to fire up an outside grill. Unless you have an inside grill - then you can do it whenever and you're a ton cooler than me. Plus I'd want to move in with you, or just into your house!
If you use my method, when you open the oven (halfway through - after about 8 minutes) it will be steamy enough to fog up the camera.
Flip and cook until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees with a meat thermometer when inserted in the thickest part (also be sure to avoid bones if you are not using boneless pork chops - I wasn't but I do sometimes...)
Enjoy! I served this with some mashed sweet potatoes (mixed in a little cumin - tasted great - but I do mean a LITTLE like 1/4 tsp for 2 sweet potatoes), and chips with guacamole.

4 comments:

  1. Yum. My kids adore pork chops, we're going to have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think this week on pork chop night we are going to go cuban, these look great. Nice ingredients, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually got a couple pork chops in the freezer that would be perfect for this! Sounds like such a yummy dinner!

    And congrats to your husband!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always looking for new ideas for pork chops, and these look SO delicious! Thanks for sharing, Crystal. I'm glad to have found your beautiful blog and am going to explore more of your recipes! :) - Georgia

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.