I love to cook while camping. I love the taste of food cooked over open flames, in dutch ovens and in aluminum foil in the burning embers. While I have not actually been camping in the past 2 years, I still love it. I think that it is the whole food aspect of camping that I really enjoy, not necessarily the camping itself. I came to this realization when I realized why I do not like 'roughing it' camping - ie backwoods, hiking, etc. I like established campgrounds. They make it easier to cook!
So in my opinion, what is the point of camping if you don't have a great menu with good tasting food? There is the whole getting away from it all, going into the mountains where it is cooler, etc. But there is also dealing with bugs, animals, and I do not find it very restful to have to clean everything when you get home, it is a big hassle. I guess any travel is really if you think about it though.
So some of my favorite camping dishes are:
tinfoil dinners (hamburger, potatoes, carrots, onion)
Campfire stew (Sausage links, potatoes, carrots)
Dutch Oven Chicken
Those are all well and good, but I LOVE camp desserts such as:
Chocolate Pudding Cake (dutch oven)
Peach Cobbler (dutch oven)
Smores (made so the chocolate is melted, it's the only way to eat them!)
So what is your favorite dish to eat while camping? Also if there are any recipes you want I will try to locate them (I haven't been camping for 2 years and have moved 4 times, so I'm not promising anything.)
- ► 2012 (78)
- ► 2011 (122)
- ► 2010 (208)
- Tuesday Treats: ChocOat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Meals - August 24-30
- May Be Foodless Friday: Happy Birthday Dennis!
- Banana Muffins
- Feta Chicken
- Tuesday Treats: Oreo Truffles
- Meals - August 17-23
- May Be Foodless Friday: On Camping...
- Tuna Sandwich (no mayo)
- Zucchini Boats or Stuffed Zucchini
- Tuesday Treats: Ooey Gooey Chocolaty Goodness or N...
- Meals - August 10-16
- Foodless Friday: Birds
- Think Thursday: Peanut Butter and Banana Bites
- Lemon-Herb Pork Loin Chops
- Poll Results
- Tuedsay Treats: Lime-Coconut cookies
- Meals - August 3-9, Changes with the new site
- May Be Foodless Friday: Happy Birthday Val!
- Fettuccine Alfredo
- Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Minestrone Soup
- Stuffed Pork Loin
- Meals this past week 7/27-8/2
- ▼ August (24)