Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tuesday Treats: Mock Pumpkin Cookies

When we moved I had 4 lbs of frozen carrots that we used to keep the rest of our food cold... the only bad thing is that by the time we had traveled for 4 days, the carrots were not frozen anymore. I made some of them into baby food for my son, and the rest I pureed and made into cookies. After making them, I was surprised how much they tasted like pumpkin cookies! I knew that I had to share these with you. There is a subtle carrot taste to these cookies, but if not told people did think they were made with pumpkin - I am sure the color helps.

To puree the carrots, I cooked them and then added them with some of the cooking water to the blender. It took about 1 lb bag of frozen carrots to make 2 cups (if you have a little less or a little more it won't matter.)

Mock Pumpkin Cookies

In a large mixing bowl, beat 2 cups sugar (you can also use 1/2 cup sugar), 4 cups pureed cooked carrots, and 1 cup butter.
Mix in 1 whole egg.
Add 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp cloves, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp salt.
Add 4 cups flour (I used half whole wheat and half all-purpose flour).
Mix until combined. You can add 1 cup raisins, nuts or chocolate chips, if desired.
Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees or until browned.
Enjoy!
Printer Friendly

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.