Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Garlic Roast

The recipe winner is for a Garlic Roast. I love garlic. I also love roast! We got a chuck roast, which are definitely better cooked in a slow cooker as they tend to be a tougher roast. So that is how this roast was cooked, on high in a slow cooker - it would have been low but I started it later than low would have taken too long to cook (I'm sure none of you have ever done that one before :)

Roasts remind me of my childhood, we would have roasts for Sunday dinners a lot. My grandparents were ranchers, and would always give us a meat for butchering costs, so we were not without beef. I actually use to think chicken was a special meal. It works great for me now because I still love eating chicken, and since it is usually cheaper it is a bonus!

I really love carrots cooked in with a roast, I love the taste of the juices in the carrots, they are wonderful! I was worried that the garlic/black pepper combination of this roast would overpower the carrots, but they turned out great! We served the roast with carrots and toasted English Muffins.

Garlic Roast

Slice 4-5 cloves of garlic, cut them about 1/4 inch thick. Using a knife, slit holes into the roast and stick the garlic into the holes. Slit holes about 1-1/2 to 2 inches apart.
Cut 4 carrots into sticks and place in the bottom of a slow cooker. Place Roast on top and sprinkle with 1 tsp black pepper. Add 2 cans (about 3-1/2 cups) beef stock.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours (or high for 3-4) or until a meat thermometer reads 180 degrees - you only need to cook it to 160, but cooking it to at least 180 degrees makes it more tender.

Doesn't that roast look so good? I had already trimmed off a layer of fat.
Don't those carrots look so yummy! They are best served hot with gravy.
I used cornstarch to make the gravy. I place the strained drippings from the roast in a saucepan, and put 3 Tbsp cornstarch into 1/2 cup cold water. I then stir in the water to the drippings and then turn on the burner and heat to boiling. If needed I add some bouillon to enhance the flavor.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.