Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Comfort food: Shepherd's Pie


So my biased decision chose this recipe due to the fact that only 2 people commented and one was anonymous. Since I like to know who people are, I find it more personal that way, I am going with the named comment. That is just the type of person I am. Plus I had about the same amount of pictures for each recipe, which was my original criteria.

We do not have shepherd's pie that often in my family.  Hubby doesn't really like it that much, and while I like it, there are so many other foods that I want to try... but occasionally I really crave this for the comfort food that it is. My mom would make this when I was growing up and I loved it, which was odd because I was not a fan of tomatoes, tomato soup, etc. I did eat Ketchup and that is about all! So who knows maybe if you have a child who "hates" tomatoes they will eat this. I am actually over the tomato hating. Oddly enough it came with pregnancy - I craved tomatoes and since then I have been able to eat it. In fact I actually like them. It is a weird switch to go from hating them to liking them, but it's been kind of nice. I actually enjoy eating a lot of foods I have not liked before. Hubby still does not prefer to have tomatoes, but he eats them.

There are many versions of Shepherd's Pie, but this is the one I grew up eating.


Shepherds Pie

Brown 1 lb hamburger in a pan (or use hamburger pre-cooked and frozen). While hamburger is cooking, boil 3 cups potatoes for mashed potatoes (boil for 15-20 minutes or until tender). Add hamburger and 1 - 15oz can green beans into a bundt pan.

Then pour a can of tomato soup (10.75 oz) over the hamburger and beans. Mix well.

To the boiled potatoes, add 1 cube butter, 1/3 cup whipping cream (or sour cream), 1 egg and salt to taste (you may want to salt before adding the egg). Mash to desired consistency (I use my hand beaters to make them nice and smooth.)

Place mashed potatoes on top of the green bean and hamburger mixture.

Top with 1/3-1 cup cheddar cheese.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes - until cheese is melted.

If you want the cheese browned like above instead of just melted, broil for 2-3 minutes after cooking. Let cool for a couple of minutes.



Enjoy! (And no this dish is not suppose to look 'pretty'.)

4 comments:

  1. growing up, my mom always made some sort of unbaked shepherd's pie. Mashed potatoes with a gravy-like mixture of meat and mushrooms and corn on top. So good! I've actually never had the baked version, but yours looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had an unbaked version, and it sounds good (although I would probably not make it now since Hubby is not a fan of mushrooms...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, Shepherd's Pie certainly is comfort food -
    I've only had it at restaurants, where it is typically a English/Scottish-type dish, but this entry makes me think that many kinds of ingredients would work as a Shepherd's-Pie-ish casserole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I have made Shepherd's Pie only few times, but certainly I will do it again with you receipe. Looks delicious!. I`m glad I found your nice blog!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.