Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tuesday Treats: Pudim (Flan)

A few weeks ago I wrote about a dinner party for Project Food Blog Challenge #3. For dessert we had Pudim aka Flan. As I served it my friend commented about the fact that I'd made it from scratch - she'd never attempted it before and thought it would be hard. At that moment I knew I had to post a step by step on how to make this delicious dessert because I'd had the same misconception. While it may not be as easy as no bak cookies, it is not as hard as it may seem... I think the hardest part was making the caramel for the bottom of the container! I tend to get a little ansy and do not make it as dark as it needs to be. However, when I made it for the dinner I had just learned a new trick to help me know when it was dark enough. I'll be showing that one later ;).

I made this using muffin tins... however I would not suggest doing the same. Why? First the caramel that is put on the bottom doesn't turn out as good. While there is some that turns liquid, there is a disk of sugar that is also in the bottom of each cup. However if you do want to try it in a muffin tin, double the amount of caramel sauce that you make. I do highly suggest using a ceramic or glass baking dishes to make these - such as  souffle dishes, oven safe coffee mugs, or custard cups.

Flan
Recipe adapted from Rick Bayless
Caramel:
You'll need 3/4 cup sugar.
Place it into a pan.
Next you'll need 1/3 cup water.
Drizzle it on the sugar.
The sugar and water will be separated in the pan.
Cook over medium-high heat.
When the sugar/water comes to a full boil use a pastry brush to wash down the sides of the pan. Dip brush in water as needed.
Reduce heat to medium and boil for about 5 minutes or until golden.
Swirl the pan over heat until it reaches a deep straw color.
Remove from heat and swirl until it reaches a deep amber. (The spots are from not washing the sugar off the side of the pan like I should have...)
So the secret to getting the right color - drop a bit onto a white surface (like these paper towels.)
It is easier to see the color of the caramel this way.  The circled color is the amber color we're looking for.
Pour into cooking dishes. So the first time I made these and made it too light it was the above color, the second time they were this color:
Much better color.

Custard:
In a saucepan, add 1/8 cup sugar (I originally used 1/4 but felt it was too sweet, 1/8 cup was perfect.)
1 can sweetened condensed milk and 1-1/2 cup milk.
Stir to combine.
Add the peel of 1 lemon (or lime.)
Over medium heat bring to a simmer, stirring frequently.
Once it reaches a simmer remove from heat.
Steep for about 10 minutes.
While it is steeping bring a pot of water to a simmer. (I also used this time to make the caramel and to prep the rest of the custard mixture.)
You'll need 3 eggs.
place them in a bowl.
You'll also need 4 egg yolks.
Place the egg yolks with the whole eggs.
Then beat the eggs.
Beat them until completely mixed.
Add the milk mixture slowly while whisking the eggs.
Then add 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract (no substitutes - if you're making flan you might as well splurge on the pure vanilla extract.)
Next you'll need to strain the lemon/lime peel out of the custard by pouring the custard mixture into a sieve over a clean bowl. (Unless you're making one large flan then you can strain it directly into the pan.)
Discard the lemon peel - unless you want to add it to something you're cooking (be sure to get it warm so the egg on it doesn't cause sickness...)
Pour flan into baking pans.
Baking pans should be in a dish - since I used muffin tins, I placed these in a jelly roll pan.
Add the simmering water to the pan. You want the water to come up to half to 2/3rds the way up the mold - so if you use a dish like on the right hand side, it would be best to put it and the water into a deeper pan.
Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes for muffin tins, 50 minutes for a 6-ounce dish (makes 6), 60 minutes for a 8-ounce dish (makes 4) and about 70-80 for a large dish.
Cook until they are just set in the middle (You can see in the middle row there is a finger print - guess what once you invert it no one can tell!)  Let cool for 1 hour in the hot water bath. 

Refrigerate for 1 hour in a muffin tin or at least 2 hours in any other dish.
Loosen custard from sides of pan.
Some look better than others - depends on the amount of time you put into running the knife around the edge.
Invert pan onto serving dish (unless you used a muffin tin in which case, invert it over a large item like a cookie sheet.)
Place on serving dish.
These are the light caramel flan. 
 The top would be darker otherwise (as with this one above).
These are cute desserts and the perfect way to end a meal.
These are seriously so good - you should make them soon!
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. this looks so good. i love the step by step pictures:) thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just noticed your post on Facebook from Oct 19th!!! Sorry, but I came on over once I noticed. This is way easier than I was thinking. I'll have to talk to you about this today. I have two questions. Thanks again! You rock!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.