Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Fresh Salsa using a Food Processor

One of my favorite snacks is chips and salsa. I've already shown a version of fresh salsa where you chop them by hand. This version uses a food processor which greatly reduces the time making them (and with three kids now I am all about saving time in the kitchen). 

The main problem I have when making salsa in the food processor is that it seems to be very liquidy when it is done. So spell check told me that liquidy isn't a word but I choose to believe that spell check is wrong not me ;). Actually the nerd in me had to look it up and it is a word - but not as accepted as other synonyms, however, I'm keeping it because I think it's the best of the synonyms to describe what I'm writing. But getting back to the salsa - I've recently found a way to counter the extra liquid problem and this salsa is pretty close to perfect, without the time commitment! Extra bonus!


Fresh Salsa
First you'll need tomatoes, I actually grew these in my garden. I'm pretty impressed with myself since I don't have a green thumb! They aren't very large so I needed a few of them. You'll want about 4-5 normal sized tomatoes.


Cut the tomatoes in half and remove the stem area and the seeds.
Place the tomatoes in a food processor.
You'll also need a green bell pepper and a jalapeno.  
Remove the seeds and stems of those and put them in with the tomatoes. (Be careful when handling jalapenos - use gloves or be super careful not to get the insides on you... it can be irritating and painful!)
Pulse them until you've reached the desired choppedness. 
Place into a bowl.
Add 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 Tbsp lime Juice, 1 tsp Salt (or a bit less if you like to use less salt) and 1 cup Freeze Dried Chopped Onions
I honestly love that I don't have to chop the onions and they soak up all the extra liquid, it's totally win-win!
Mix them all together. At this point you can also add some cilantro, I don't because my husband doesn't really like it but it does make me a little sad that I don't! Okay sometimes I do add it to make me happy...
Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour (or longer).
Enjoy!
We ate these with some delicious Shredded Pork Quesadillas! YUM.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.