Thursday, March 1, 2012

Thai Chicken Cabbage

A list for today: 
1. Yesterday I got an ultrasound done at 18.5 weeks.
2. I love that for pregnancy ultrasounds at this clinic I do not have to drink 32 ounces of water before going in. LOVE IT!
3. Our baby is going to be a rebel child - not very cooperative sometimes.
4. Our baby likes to stick a foot in between his/her legs.
5. After much prodding of my belly the technician was able to determine the gender of our baby.
6. I was completely wrong as to which gender I predicted.
7. So was my husband.
8. I like it when we're both wrong or right... (about anything really.)
9. Before the ultrasound I had to get my blood drawn.
10. I hate needles.
11. My husband always has to hold my hand... except when my son is trying to get into the used needles container.
12. Note to self - don't take son with me next time I go to get my blood drawn.
13. I mentioned to my husband (while my blood was getting sucked out of my veins) that I had donated blood 3 times in my life.
14. He was surprised.
15. I think my fear of needles has gotten worse since then... the last time was over 7 years ago.
16. Donating blood always made me feel gross for the rest of the day. If I didn't eat enough I felt really bad and if I ate enough my stomach would hurt.
17. I have no desire to give blood again... sorry Red Cross.
18. I get side tracked easily.
19. Being pregnant makes my brain go into hiding.
20. True story, I forget SO much now.
21. And I feel a lot more ditzy. 
22. I can make my husband laugh more though.
23. None of this has anything to do with the recipe I'm sharing today...
24. Speaking of recipes... I have no idea where I got the inspiration for this recipe. I've looked and looked. So if you've see one like this, then let me know and I'll see if it is something I've read to give proper credit.
25. I made this recipe to use up cabbage that we had a plethora of from our produce co-op. 
26. My husband is not really a big fan of cabbage.
27. But he liked this dish.
28. I'm really tempted to make it again when we get cabbage.
29. The last number I'm including in this list.

Thai Chicken Cabbage
You'll need 1 Tbsp each of soy sauce and Rice Vinegar (or Rice Wine Vinegar.)
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1-1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp fish sauce
1/4-1/2 tsp sriracha or garlic chili paste (You can add more if you like your food spicy.)
 Whisk all together in a medium size bowl
2 Tbsp oil - put in a skillet over medium to medium high heat.
1 onion, sliced
1-2 chicken breast(s) cut into slices
Once onion is tender and chicken is cooked through, add broth mixture to pan.
Bring to simmering.
Yeah, I know this isn't the most appetizing-looking food ever!
Then toss in 1/2 head cabbage, cut into strips
Stir into pan.
Let cook about 5 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
Serve over cooked rice, topped with cilantro and dry roasted peanuts.
I was feeling a bit lazy and didn't chop the peanuts, you can chop them or not. Same with the cilantro.
Enjoy!
Oh and if you thought I'd leave you hanging... we're having a boy in late July.

”Gallery

2 comments:

  1. Loved your list! I'm a ditz when pregnanat too, so much so that once when I locked myself out of the house, I called my husband and said, "I think I must be pregnant because I just locked myself out pick up a test on your way to come rescue me". And I was right. :)

    How exciting to know that you are having another boy! Is you son excited?

    Your Thai Chicken Cabbage looks delicious! I am a huge fan of cabbage. If you have a chance, I would love for you to share this with the Gallery of Favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your pregnancy! I was definitely ditzy when I was pregnant too. I love that you don't have to drink all that water when you have an ultrasound. That was the bit I really hated. Well, actually it was the laying there feeling like my bladder was going to explode bit I hated, although seeing our baby did distract me quite a lot! (I need to add here that our baby is now 19 years old!)

    Thank you for sharing this delicious Thai Chicken Cabbage recipe with us at the Gallery. I am always looking for new and different ways to use cabbage and I really like the flavours you have used.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.