Monday, March 12, 2012

Menu: March 5-11

As I sat staring at the blank screen, not feeling any motivation to write a blog post and wondering what I actually accomplished today-I honestly felt like I hadn't accomplished much, a beautiful thought came to me. I accomplished something wonderful today. I took my almost 3 year old (currently napping) to the park and let him enjoy life. Then we had a lunch date. It won't matter in 10 years if I cleaned my floors or had the dishes put away, but it will matter that I spent time with my son and let him know that he is special to me. Sometimes I get caught up in making sure that I get everything done that I 'need' to each day that I forget to take the time to do what I really NEED to do and that is spend time with my son doing what he wants/needs to do. 

In college, I studied to be a Speech Language Pathologist (I didn't end up going to grad school - whole other story) and in one of my classes I learned something very interesting. Educated parents are less likely to let a child play how they want to and more likely to try to get them to play how the parent thinks they should. Why? Most likely because we know which toys are more educational and can teach our child things... but that is not what they need. Unstructured play is so helpful in their development and I have to remind myself to step back and let him lead because I catch myself trying to direct his play. It can be hard to let him take the lead! But it is so worth it in the end. 

Here's our menu:

Monday: Leftover Parmesan Crusted Chicken

Wednesday: Teriyaki Chicken

Thursday: Cottage cheese, applesauce, bread (confession: I was having a really emotional day which continued on to Friday so we didn't eat the greatest meals on those days! Gotta love pregnancy hormones... or not.)

Friday: Egg Rolls and pineapple
Saturday: Chef Salad
Sunday: CousCous Stuffed Peppers

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.