Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tuesday Treats: Coconut Tuiles

I stumbled upon these cookies by accident, but once I made them I fell totally and completely in love. They are simple, requiring only 5 ingredients - but fly off the serving platter! I came upon these when I was searching for a good cookie to make for the July 24x24 dinner I made. I was trying to find a cookie that could be used as a chip with my fruit salsa. These worked almost perfectly (I had to flatten them before I baked them, but hey, it worked out!)

Next time I make these I'm going to try dipping them in chocolate, or dip the bottom in chocolate and make a cookie with two of them (like Pepperidge Farm's Tahitis.) I really think that will make these absolutely delicious! Not that they are not absolutely delicious, when I made my test batch they were pretty much gone by the end of the day. The best thing about these is that you can shape them - Tuiles are actually suppose to be curved to resemble the curved roof tiles, so are typically draped over a rolling pin while still hot. However, I found you can shape them almost any way you want. I used a prep bowl to shape some of them to hold the fruit salsa.


Coconut Tuiles

Beat 1/4 cup unsalted, softened butter (that is 1/2 of a stick)
and then add 1/2 cup sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
Next slowly add 2 large egg whites.
The trick to adding it slowly instead of having it all drop down at once is to beat them lightly before pouring.
Beat slowly after each addition of egg white. Scrape sides of bowl occasionally.
Next add 3 Tbsp All Purpose Flour. Slowly beat to combine.
Next add 1-1/2 cups lightly toasted coconut.
Fold in gently
Seriously you do want to use toasted coconut, I used both toasted and un-toasted in two different batches. Go with toasted. It's the right thing to do! (To toast coconut, place on cookie sheet under broiler, stirring after a couple of minutes. Keep an eye on it because it can burn quickly. When toasting make about 2.5 cups for these cookies - we'll be using more later.)
Mix gently until combined.
Drop onto cookies sheet lined with parchment paper.

You can cook them on just a greased cookie sheet, but the parchment paper will make you life SO much easier!
Top each cookie with more of the toasted coconut.
See I told ya you'd be needing more. You might not use a whole cup to top these cookies with.
But at least you'll not feel as guilty when you sneak a taste or two or ten. (Not that I feel guilty when I taste things, I just like to make sure I have enough, just in case.)
To roll out the cookie (You only need to do this if you want thin cookies to use as chips...) place a piece of parchment paper over the top and roll with rolling pin.
You can then either remove the parchment paper, scraping it with a spatula as you remove it, or leave it on top of the cookies while they bake. I would suggest the latter.
The cookies will brown on the outsides and unless you rolled them out they will still mostly white in the middle.
To shape the cookies, let them cool for 30 seconds and then carefully remove them from the pan.
Gently place in/on the surface you want to mold them to.
Let cool. Once cooled they will be hardened and keep their shape.
Then you can fill them (well if you used a cup shape) with fruit salsa or any other type of delicious desserty item.  For the chips I simply did not shape them. They worked wonderfully!
If I had any more coconut left in my house I'd be popping some of these in my oven ASAP!

Enjoy! PS Stay tuned in tomorrow for a Giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.