Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Asparagus Beef


 So for a few days I had this idea of wrapping beef around asparagus and cooking it... not sure exactly how I was going to do it... Luckily when I went to the store the asparagus was on sale because it is always hard to buy asparagus in the store. When I was growing up we would go 'asparagus hunting' around where I lived and on my grandparent's farm. Grandma always knew where to look for the best bunches of asparagus. We'd then break the asparagus off from the main plant and have fresh asparagus. If you've never had fresh asparagus you do not know what you're missing... in fact it is hard to go to store bought once you have picked it fresh. I haven't had fresh pick asparagus for a few years which is why I can buy it once in a while now. Plus the asparagus growing season is way too short!

So I was wanting to make this meal and decided to try two different sauces for the finished product (if I would have been feeling overly ambitious I would have tried a hollandaise sauce, but I wasn't so I did not make it. If any of you feel ambitious while making this please let me know if it works out.)

There is a lack of picture instructions with this post as I am a bit paranoid of germs and such, so while working with raw meat I a) do not touch my camera and b) wash my hands an untold number of times and c) realize how much time (and hand washing) I would save if I had everything measured out and ready before working with the raw meat. So I only have the final product. Next time I make this I will enlist the help of Hubby to take pictures of the process!


Asparagus Beef

1-2 lb beef roast, cut into 1/4 inch thick strips (at least 1-1/2 inch square, but 1-1/2 inch tall by 2-3 inches long is best.) You should end up with about 12
12 spears asparagus (or if the asparagus is skinny, use a bundle of 3), ends cut off
1/2-3/4 cup feta cheese
6 slices bacon, cut in half

In a large skillet, fry bacon over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side (this will not cook the bacon totally, but gives it a start for later).
Remove from pan and then use the bacon grease to braise the beef strips, cooking only 2 minutes on each side.
Place one spear of asparagus on on slice of beef and sprinkle about 1/2-1 Tbsp feta on beef and wrap. Place beef on one slice of bacon and wrap in opposite direction. Secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining asparagus, beef, feta and bacon.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. Serve with Raspberry sauce or a gravy.
Raspberry sauce:
In a small or medium saucepan, place one cup raspberries and enough water to just coat the bottom of the pan (about 1 Tbsp). Stirring often, bring to a boil. Add 1-2 Tbsp sugar. Boil for 2 more minutes. Serve over Asparagus Beef.

Gravy:
Drain drippings from pan, add 1 Tbsp beef bouillon and 3/4 cup water in a saucepan. Heat until simmering. In a measuring cup, add 1/4 cup water and 1 Tbsp cornstarch until mixed. Add to saucepan stirring constantly. Stir occasionally while bringing to a boil. Boil 1 minute, remove from heat. Serve over Asparagus Beef.
Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.