Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Kitchen Tip - Broth

There is nothing better than homemade broth. I have found it difficult to have all the leftover 'stuff' to make broth all at once. However, I have now found a way that works great and all you need is freezer space... Simply place all your veggie peelings and such in a freezer bag and freeze until you have the chicken/beef/pork bones and fat then just add the frozen veggie leftovers to a pot with the meat (or to make a vegetarian broth just wait until you have enough frozen vegetable leftovers. You can actually have a bag for meat and one for vegetables as well.


What tricks do you have for making homemade broth?

2 comments:

  1. I make veggie stock in a very similar way - I keep a tupperware in the freezer that I gradually fill up with any trimmings, peelings, stems, etc from vegetables, and when it's full, I dump it out into a big pot, fill up the pot with water, throw in a smashed clove of garlic or two and whatever fresh herbs I have banging around the fridge, bring it to a boil, and then let it simmer for an hour or so. Then, just strain out the vegetables and freeze for later use! I like freezing a couple tbsp at a time in ice-cube trays - that way I can have a small amount on hand to add to a sauce or what have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I will definitely use this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.