Thursday, December 30, 2010

Chicken Skillet

I hope you all had a great Christmas! I haven't downloaded the pictures from our camera so I'm not going to be sharing photos of our fun with you... yet.  However, I will give a brief account of our latest trip. We planned on driving 4 hours on the 21st (our anniversary) and staying in a suite (translate = our son in a separate sleeping area from us) in a hotel that had an indoor swimming pool. I don't know why but I was super excited about this! Then on the 22nd we were going to head up to Hubby's parent's house... That was the plan. This was totally changed by a snowstorm that gave our area over a foot of snow and basically made the mountains scary at best (Chains were advised). We also found out our car was leaking fluids (and got it checked out but the repair place was so busy it will be until next week until we get it fixed!) So we stayed home that day. We did go out to dinner but it was less than satisfactory (floaty in hubby's drink, dirty plate at the salad bar, just to name a few items... unfortunately it was the only sit-down restaurant open in our small town due to the snow (there are only 3 to choose from normally.) Then to top off our anniversary, a wasp crawled up my pants and stung me just above my knee. OUCH! At the end of the day all I wanted to do was cry! We did end up heading up to the in-laws the next day and had a wonderful visit with them. We returned on two days ago. It started snowing again yesterday and is continuing today. It's beautiful outside.

I think I have actually only made two meals in the past two weeks... crazy, but true. I didn't do a poll this week because I was tired and didn't feel like it, instead I'm choosing the recipe I am going to post next Thursday (Cheesecake muffins) and Monday things will return to normal. I hope you all have a happy new year!

For now, here is the Chicken Skillet recipe:

Chicken Skillet

First, prepare rice. I use brown rice so it takes the whole time this meal is being cooked to cook.
I also use a rice cooker (it's on its last leg and I'll be so sad when it dies - it was a wedding present.)
Next, empty one can black beans and one can corn in a colander and rinse them.
Measure out 1/2 cup salsa.
I like using thick and chunky salsa.
Cook 1/2 to 1 chicken breast per person (I tend to use less meat than a whole breast per person. I cut the breasts up into smaller pieces to cook.) Sprinkle each piece of chicken with chili powder.
Pan fry until cooked through, remove from pan.
Place 1 cup water in the pan and the salsa.
Add the beans and corn.
Cook until heated through - about 5 minutes.
Serve over rice.
This meal is delicious, but so easy!
Plus it only uses one pan ;). Fewer dishes!
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. A very Happy new year to you n ur family , loved going thru ur wonderful blog !!!

    - Smita
    www.littlefoodjunction.blogspot.com
    (fun foods for little eaters

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.