Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Fried Rice

This recipe is adapted from about 3 other recipes plus adding an ingredient of my own (sesame oil). I take what I like from them and add it together. One recipe called for green beans (green beans in Fried Rice?), another called for peas (I only like fresh peas straight from the garden, so that was a no go), mushrooms (hubby says no to mushrooms), and bamboo shoots (I never have those, I tried using them, but didn't think they added to the dish), and another said to beat the eggs and soy sauce together (huh?). I actually tried the eggs and soy sauce thing, not so great. I never felt like the eggs got cooked enough (I am really don't deal well with eating raw eggs - yeah, no homemade eggnog for me!) I usually try to just use one pan for this so I cook the eggs before I saute the other ingredients. The ham I usually have left over from cooking a half-ham, which I usually buy when it goes on sale for $0.99 per pound. Tip: When buying ham, buy the butt portion not the shank (butt portion usually has smaller bones and more meat).

Fried Rice

In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook 3 eggs, scrambled (do not add milk or salt). After thoroughly cooked, remove from pan, set aside.
In same skillet, saute 2 Carrots - cubed or shredded (these should be as thick as matchstick carrots or they will turn mushy), 1/2 cup Green Onions - sliced, 1 clove Garlic - minced, in 1 tsp Sesame Oil (if you do not have this you can omit), and 2 Tbsp Olive Oil until vegetables are crisp tender.
I add the 2 cups ham before the veggie are crisp tender (mainly because I use ham I have cut up and put in the freezer. It is never quite thawed by the time I start cooking this dish, so the extra time gives helps it unthaw and also helps blend flavors.) If you use ham from the fridge, you can add it after the veggies are crisp-tender.
Once the veggies are crisp-tender, add 3 cups rice. Stir until combined, then add 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce (I use reduced sodium).
Remember those eggs, add them now. Stir until combined and it is heated through.
Serve while hot.

Enjoy!

Printer Friendly

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.