Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cocoa Rolo Cookies

So I have to say that this post has been a bugger to write... not because it was particularly hard, but because every time I sat down to write it my son decided he needed to sit on my lap (and I don't particularly like typing one handed!) I do have to say that I don't blame him as he's been sick since Monday... and it's always nice to have a mommy's lap available when one is not feeling well (and is still small enough to actually sit on mommy's lap!) So this post has literally taken DAYS to get through! True to every other time I decided to write, I now have a little boy on my lap... so here I'll leave you (so I can enjoy snuggling with my son)!

I went to my mom's house a few weeks ago and she had made these cookies. I thought they were so heavenly that I had to (a) share them with you and (b) make them for myself to consume in quantities that I shall not mention... nor do I really want to admit! However these little gems are not as calorie/sugar laden as some cookies I've had ;).


Cocoa Rolo Cookies
Recipe adapted from Cocoa Kiss Cookies in 101 Cookie Recipes

So for the cookie dough - you'll need: 1 cup butter - softened, 1 cup pecans-chopped, 1/2 cup sugar, 1-2/3 cup flour,
1/8 cup dark baking cocoa, and 1/8 cup regular baking cocoa (or any combination of baking cocoa you prefer), and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
Place the butter in a mixing bowl and beat for a half a minute.
Then add the sugar and beat for about another minute. Until it is light and fluffy.
Add the vanilla extract, mixing to combine.
Meanwhile mix together the flour and baking cocoa.

Pour into the butter mixture in 3 additions.
Making sure it is well combined each time.
Once all the flour/cocoa mix is mixed in,
it's time to add the:
pecans. Mix thoroughly. Best thing about this cookie dough? You can eat it without feeling guilty (especially if your pregnant)... no raw eggs!
Second to last ingredient you'll need:
Mini rolos. I used two of these king sized packs, or about 40 mini rolos.
Take about 1 Tbsp dough and flatten,
Place a mini rolo in it,
fold the dough around the rolo, place on a cookie sheet (I lined mine with parchment paper). Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool on pan for a few minutes.
See that cookie that leaked (second from bottom in middle) - that is why I use parchment paper.
You'll now need your last ingredient: Powdered sugar. Place in a bowl,
Then place each cookie into the powdered sugar,
Coat on all sides.
Remove to a cooling rack to continue to cool.
I placed my cooling rack on a cutting mat - easier clean up ;). Let cool completely.
Enjoy with a glass of milk.
If you want once they are cooled, you can toss them in powdered sugar again.
We didn't, but I don't like to dictate how you live your life...
A word of caution, these are terribly addicting!
Oh and when coating in powdered sugar, be careful as the cookies don't have eggs...
which means they are more likely to fall apart. Basically you can toss them all in a bag and shake or you'll have a cookie crumbly mess!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below. Because I want this space on the internet to be a happy space, any rude or degrading comments will not be published.